Indicator probs & MOT fail

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: Indicator probs & MOT fail

Post by Neosophist » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 pm
I followed magg's suggestion and took my rear bulbs to the local Honda shop, with the simple intention of buying two 21W bulbs. There followed a long discussion with the parts man during which it became clear that he knew bugger all about the NC35 or NC30 (which I think is poor considering this bloke has worked at a main Honda dealership for 100 years :roll: ). After much messing about on his computer he declared that the 21W bulbs from the NC30 (part no.34908-ST3-EOIHE if anyone is interested) would 'probably' fit the NC35. Naturally they weren't in stock but at £1.80 each it was worth ordering them.

There is good news and bad news.

Good news..it works :P All indicators now flash at the required rate, so thanks magg.
Bad news..the bulbs are physically too large to fit inside the indicator casing :x

So now I am on the lookout for 21W bulbs the same size as those in the NC35.
according to my original nc35 parts book

34905ge8601 is the partnumber for the original indicator bulbs superceeded by 34905-MR7-003 (15w)

strange, that was taken out of the parts manual.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-Speed- ... Sw0UdXtV-0

something like this is plug and play and adjustable to suit...
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Neo. I've seen you mention these a few times. I'm holding out a bit longer (it's bloody snowing here atm so the bike's going nowhere for a while) to see if 12V 21W (or even 18W) turn up or someone offers an unwanted OEM relay (see Parts Wanted section). But I may end up using your suggestion.

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 am
Morespeedvicar is right, I don't think simply removing the indicators will help. When I fitted the Tyga fairing the indicators were a straightforward 'unplug and replug' job. Like I said at the start, maybe I dislodged something. Getting the Tyga one-piece tail section into place is not nearly as easy as the original panels (I went through this some time ago in the Graphics section), so I've been trying to avoid the inevitable. Looks like it's gonna have to come off :( .

Maybe someone can tell me how I'll know the relay is buggered? If the indicators are working, but flashing too fast, can the relay still be at fault?
I guess my local MOT man is a bit more flexible with these things.
Before lifting the seat unit; could you maybe get a couple of 12v15w bulbs for the front so they match the rears?
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

been and had a look at a mates nc35 tonight.

the front has 18/5 bulbs in it (running lights I think built in) and the backs are deffo 15 watts single bulbs.

if you have the 15w in the back what bulbs do you have in the front? perhaps you have the wrong wattage in there...?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Nope, all parts are as they should be, including bulb wattage. I was just looking for a quick way to slow the flash rate and magg suggested upping the rear wattage to 21 each, which worked, but as I said the bulbs are too large and I can't get hold of tiny 21W bulbs.
So the Tyga tail has got to come off :x to check the relay (how can I tell if it's faulty?) and see if any of the wire are loose or pinched.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 pm

What flash rate does MOT expect or is it a subjective test. Bike passed before what has changed. Keep flasher and bulbs as is and add a resistor to the output lead of the flasher to drop the flash rate.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am

As far as I understand it the MOT requirement is a flash rate of between 60 and 120 times a minute, outside that is a fail. The bloke at the MOT station used to say 'I think they're flashing a bit fast mate but I'm not gonna fail it', so everything was hunky dory. The new management chappie was far more precise and timed them. He got a flash rate of 130+ so said it would fail if I put it through the MOT (as well as the small no. plate).
If I go for your resistor option the tail still has to come off, so maybe I'll find the problem then.

In answer to Speedy's suggestion of simply putting 15W bulbs in the front pair (so they'll be 15W all round), the front bulbs are blade-type not bayonet-type fittings, so I couldn't use my spare 15W bulbs, I'd have to buy 15W blade-type bulbs (if they exist).
Last edited by Foxy400 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:03 am

You can fit the resistor at the switch end of the loom.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 am

Ah, I never thought of that. I reckon if the quick-fix approach of putting 21W in the rear indicators isn't viable (coz they won't fit) then I'd best hunt down the problem instead of trying to ignore it. Or I could simply try another MOT station and hope they're more amenable (after I've switched the no. plate).

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 am

Are not the front 18/5W bulbs, using 15w front and rear will make the indicator flash faster not slower. A 22 ohm 6w resistor would provide the added load to make a 15w rear bulb equivalent to a 21w bulb.