Disconected speedo cable - Electrical advice needed

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Disconected speedo cable - Electrical advice needed

Post by NGneer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:28 am

So I have fitted a KOSO D64 digital speedo to my bike as part of my current build (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=54015&start=30) . As a result the plug that would normally connect to the back of the OEM speedo is now simply disconnected.

I am aware that by disconnecting the speedo plug it would normally prevent the bike revving past about 5500RPM (Limp home mode?). To negate this effect you would need to do the 2.2k resistor mod at either the clock end or the CDI end.

Question:

1. Will the HRC mapped Ignitech CDI that is going to get fitted automatically negate the need for the resistor mod?
2. Do the good old M-Max plug and plug boxes effectively do the same thing?

My concern is that the plug that used to go to the back of the speedo will remain disconnected and I am trying to work out if that is going to give me added issues or not :news:

Any pointers from the electrical gurus out there would be much appreciated :ugeek: :worthy:

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Disconected speedo cable - Electrical advice needed

Post by magg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Over-speed sensor only connects to OEM ignition unit. Aftermarket plugs for speedo connector are only a resistor or a link between +12v and signal wire back to OEM ignition unit. Doubt Ignitech ignition system cares about the over-speed sensor, but others on this forum would I am sure be able to confirm.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

Ignitech sorts it out mate...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 am

yep ignitiech box doesnt have the restriction mechanisim in it to be triggered by the block..

i think the plug for the speedo sensor circuit is live at 12v perhaps, might be worth putting some silicon sealer in the end of the plug (bathroom type sealent) to stop any water / shit ingress if you dont want to cut it off as you can always dig it out later if you revert to stock.

or that might trap water in it and cause more problems? never tried it but never had any issue with just cable tying the plug up out the way so it cant short out on anything.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Cool, cheers all. That is what I thought....but it is always nice to have it confirmed.