is this an oil pressure release valve

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli
is this an oil pressure release valve

Post by rigsby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm

I am almost finished in doing a complete engine rebuild on my race motor nc30 after a big end failure. i have been very careful in rebuilding this motor and have checked all clearances etc with a replacement crank and rods and shells etc and have taken my time to get it right but there is one final problem which i cant find any info about in the manual and on the net.
On the right side of the lower crankcase below the crank shaft there is a small metal disk, i presume it is some sort of oil pressure release valve as it sits in the end of one of the oil gallery's, if it is should i be able to remove it easily or is it pressed in at the factory and designed to be left alone.
I have been careful but have tried to move the disk but it is stuck fast, i just dont want to rebuild the engine and have a release valve stuck, if anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks ian

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: is this an oil pressure release valve

Post by magg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 am

I think you will find that if you consult the factory service manual on this website, it indicates that the pressure relief valve is located adjacent to the oil pump and the small metal disc you refer to is simply a end plug for the oil gallery.

rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli

Post by rigsby » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 pm

I know there is a pressure relief valve that push fits into the lower crank case but just wanted to make sure there wasn't another on the end of the oil gallery suppose thats why its not shown on the schematics.
Thanks for the heads up just wanted to be sure i hadn't missed anything.

Thanks again

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 am

There is no apparent escape path around the small metal plug if it was a relief valve.