Clutch Slow to Engage When Releasing Lever

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35
Clutch Slow to Engage When Releasing Lever

Post by Cru Jones » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:04 am

Ok, my bike has a lot of miles (over 88K KMs), but the clutch cable and friction plates were replaced in the past 10K with OEM Honda, so those are ok. Basket wasn't too bad, but filed the few tiny grooves it had to make sure that wasn't causing any problems. Steel plates were in spec as were the springs. But, after all that my clutch still seems to engage a bit too slow for my liking after I release the lever. Perhaps I'm being OCD or perhaps there's a real issue. At this point I can't tell as it's been going on for over a year and I've slowly been conditioned to deal with it (like a frog being boiled in a pot slowly I suppose). So, with all the above what else could it be? I thought about getting new springs even though the old were well within spec and maybe that's the next step...Anybody else run into this with the NC30 or NC35? Our clutches are a bit unique, so figured this audience would be most qualified to answer this.
...2T bikes exist and are ready to meet your 4T challengers. - ToraTora

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: Clutch Slow to Engage When Releasing Lever

Post by Neosophist » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Interesting.

Perhaps somebody else will come in with some other suggestions but off the top of my head, if everything is within specifications then have you checked the mechanism that actually pushes the clutch rod to actuate the clutch? I recall people having issues with this in the past, it could be slow to disengage.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cru Jones » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Neosophist wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm
Interesting.

Perhaps somebody else will come in with some other suggestions but off the top of my head, if everything is within specifications then have you checked the mechanism that actually pushes the clutch rod to actuate the clutch? I recall people having issues with this in the past, it could be slow to disengage.
Yeah, it's an odd one. I've cleaned it out and lubed it, so it's possible that's it, but unlikely. Perhaps a different clutch rod? Mine is getting up there in age and use. Maybe it's ever-so-slightly tweaked and is binding a little bit? Sometimes it's the oddest, simplest things that cause the biggest headaches...

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am

From the service manual there are a number of assembly notes, eg lock washer and push rod orientation, just a suggestion.

Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cru Jones » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

magg wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am
From the service manual there are a number of assembly notes, eg lock washer and push rod orientation, just a suggestion.
I don't see how the rod can be oriented anyway other than one way. :?

I'm thinking about going down to 5w oil to see if that makes any difference.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I wouldn't advise that.

It's kinda like bleaching a barrel water to make it drinkable when you should really just remove the dead rat from the barrel.

Plenty of guys here run 20/50 in their race-bikes without issue.

You mentioned you checked the clutch springs before? It's the only other thing I can think ok.
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cru Jones » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Neosophist wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm
I wouldn't advise that.

It's kinda like bleaching a barrel water to make it drinkable when you should really just remove the dead rat from the barrel.

Plenty of guys here run 20/50 in their race-bikes without issue.

You mentioned you checked the clutch springs before? It's the only other thing I can think ok.
Yeah, I was hoping they would be out of spec, but they were ok. I suppose I could always replace them anyways to see if that makes a difference.

canada.NC30.rider
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R (Type 6 & 7)

Post by canada.NC30.rider » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Are you using an OEM replacement cable or aftermarket? Even an OEM one will cause issues if it was not routed correctly. I've noticed differences in length between them. You should also look to adjust the two nuts on the actuator down by the left side of the engine. Fine adjustments can give you more or less slack but it takes some playing around. The clutch lever adjustment should be your last step to fine tune the release. I'd set it at half way before playing with the actuator adjustment nuts.

Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cru Jones » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am

canada.NC30.rider wrote:Are you using an OEM replacement cable or aftermarket? Even an OEM one will cause issues if it was not routed correctly. I've noticed differences in length between them. You should also look to adjust the two nuts on the actuator down by the left side of the engine. Fine adjustments can give you more or less slack but it takes some playing around. The clutch lever adjustment should be your last step to fine tune the release. I'd set it at half way before playing with the actuator adjustment nuts.
OEM cable routed properly and adjusted properly as well. Image

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Springs could have gone weak but still appear to measure in spec.

I dont think new ones are available from Honda anymore? Maybe some aftermarket? Nothing kicking around to try? I believe some people used to put an extra one in there back in the day for racing.