VFR400 NC30 Restore

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR 400 NC30(current)
VFR400 NC30 Restore

Post by Joelaman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:47 am

So I've been riding my 89 (I think) VFR for about a year now and I've had quite a few problems with it over the past year, which led me to the decision that I'm going to buy myself a cheap and well working scooter, and restore my VFR to as good as i can hopefully as good as new or even better.

The question I find myself asking is, where do I start?
What can I do by myself with little tools and what do I have to have a workshop do?
The bike is slightly in ill repair nut my goal is to have the bike look decent and perform as it should(only reaches 195 km/ph, not even 120 m/ph)

Any Pointers would really be appreciated.

Side Note, I dont want to repair whats broken i want to look at every part and see if its slightly degraded or if it can be upgraded.

Thanks guys

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Re: VFR400 NC30 Restore

Post by pptom » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:27 am

You can do most stuff without a workshop, plenty of guides for every aspect online, don't worry so much if you've never done it before, just take your time and be thorough.
I usually replace wheel and headstock bearings, spark plugs, fit new reg/rec (mosfet type) check?/ replace all hoses, check / replace rads and change coolant of course. Find it worthwhile removing the sump and giving it a proper clean inside. Strip, clean brake calipers and master cylinders + probably fit new seals (make sure you fit genuine honda). Strip forks, check bushes and fit new genuine seals and new oil, strip clean and grease rear suspension linkage, strip and clean carbs and replace all seals and change the jetting as per the guide on here, check the fuel tank for rust and address if required. Probably some other things I've forgotten too.
Sounds alot, but it will make a 28 year old bike fresh again, I generally do this on all of my bikes and often find other issues in the process. Once it's all done you can ride without fear of breakdown. Concentrate on maintenance first, mods second, no point going faster if your brakes fail, suspension is knackered or reg/rec Melts.
Invest in a headstock paddock stand, I've also made an ABBA type stand which is very useful.
If you get stuck on anything come back on here and ask for help.

Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Joelaman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks Bro, I will definitely come back if I have any more questions, the idea is to make it perfectly roadworthy and up to date with maintenance.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 pm

No problem, for parts I use:
LiteTekBlair for carb seal kits
Rick Oliver for carb jets, suspension parts and fancy bits,
Wemoto for most service items and small bits and pieces such as gaskets, spark plugs etc.
They have all been spot on

Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Joelaman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:16 am

Where do you live exactly?

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 am

Ah, just noticed you're in SA, I'm the UK.
Litetek will post carb seal kits probably as he's in Thailand I think, the're cheap enough.
Would be worth asking Rick O if he'll post if you're struggling to get parts over there.