Nc35 / nc30 build / help!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Nc35 / nc30 build / help!

Post by Icemaestro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 am

I purchased this project off trademe (New Zealand's eBay) the other day:

ImageImage

It seems to be an nc35 frame and front forks/triple t (with ignition holder ground off), nc30(?) later rear shock possibly with the frame welded to increase the ride height (making me think it has the nc35 dogbone in there, is what has been done okay/safe do you think?), what I suspect is an nc30 rear swing arm/hub and wheel, with some average race fairings.

It came with an nc30 engine and a whole lot of engine pieces of dubious origin, coupons, brake calipers, discs (unsure if useable), levers, branded lines and I think the water pump (the bit the hoses go into on the upper right hand side of the engine before the radiator).

I then managed to get another reasonably good cond nc30 engine (as 35's don't come up here), carbs and loom/cdi.

I'm hoping that I have the engine mount bolts in there somewhere as well.

What I am thinking:
Basics:

Check for engine mount bolts. Get from Japan auctions if need be.
Need to find: nc30 coils/plug leads, starter solenoid, reg/rec, radiator (upper and lower inc fan, mount bolts), reservoir tank, exhaust/muffler assembly, nc35 airbox (already bought for 10usd) and rubber flaps.

My queries: a check of the site says that nc35 clocks won't interchange on an nc35 engine due to the tachometer. Has anyone swapped the nc30 tach into the 35/is this doable? As would like to get 35 clicks/meter stay/lights, fairings, rear subframe, seats, under tray and battery box (are they one unit?, chain guard. Should I/do you think it would be easier/cheaper to go to tyga for this? I do quite like the oem nc35 shape.

Next having a look at the swingarm/rear sprocket line up - is anyone able to say what's going on here?

On a side note is that I do have a bare nc35 rear rim sitting in my garage too (in white which would match the front rim on the bike). And this bike appears to have come with a vfr750 wheel from what I can see?

I realize it's not going to be easy/cheap but these bikes start at about 7k nzd here, and having spent about 1k all up for half a bike I think we aren't doing too bad...any suggestions and ideas are much appreciated. As are links to deals/auctions I should jump on.

Sorry for the average lighting, my garage is full!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Nc35 / nc30 build / help!

Post by Dynamohum » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am

the rear might be high as there may be washers/spacer between the nc30 shock top mount and nc35 mount to frame its hard to see from pic ?
also the forks are dropped well through the triples which would raise the rear it may well be an nc35 dogbone you would need to measure between bolt centres and someone will confirm.
are you sure its not an nc35 pro arm as nc30 arm has different dimensions narrower at pivot mount ?

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Icemaestro wrote:
radiator (upper and lower inc fan, mount bolts),

My queries: a check of the site says that nc35 clocks won't interchange on an nc35 engine due to the tachometer. Has anyone swapped the nc30 tach into the 35/is this doable?
If you get good quality reproduction rads you can run without a fan - I do this and have no issues.

Maybe an option if you want something different, I have an RVF clock cluster that has been modified to use a Koso digital dash. Its unlikely I'll use it and would happily sell it.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm

What's the size of the rear tyre & wheel

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Suzuki416 wrote:What's the size of the rear tyre & wheel
Current one on there is 150/70 r18 - std nc30.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:49 pm

vic-vtrvfr wrote:
Icemaestro wrote:
radiator (upper and lower inc fan, mount bolts),

My queries: a check of the site says that nc35 clocks won't interchange on an nc35 engine due to the tachometer. Has anyone swapped the nc30 tach into the 35/is this doable?
If you get good quality reproduction rads you can run without a fan - I do this and have no issues.

Maybe an option if you want something different, I have an RVF clock cluster that has been modified to use a Koso digital dash. Its unlikely I'll use it and would happily sell it.
Nice, thank you sir! Suggestions on the rad/where from?

Oo now that's fancy! I'll flick you a pm, my only concern is fiddlyness with getting digital dashes setup properly?

gavins
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, ER6f, K5 750

Post by gavins » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Icemaestro wrote: Next having a look at the swingarm/rear sprocket line up - is anyone able to say what's going on here?
The sprocket carrier has been put on backwards.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Dynamohum wrote:the rear might be high as there may be washers/spacer between the nc30 shock top mount and nc35 mount to frame its hard to see from pic ?
also the forks are dropped well through the triples which would raise the rear it may well be an nc35 dogbone you would need to measure between bolt centres and someone will confirm.
are you sure its not an nc35 pro arm as nc30 arm has different dimensions narrower at pivot mount ?
Is there a spot I can find the part number on it? Triangular but on the shock says mr8 but can't find anything (under the dirt) on the swingarm. Otherwise I'll bust out the measuring tape when I get home tonight. is the shock offset differently in the nc35? As that might explain the welded mount point as well.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... 56d9df.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... b9d25d.jpg[/img]

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Is the eyelet top mount welded to frame thought it was the normal threaded mount for a nc35 that goes through frame with retaining nut top .

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Scott Jellyman is our main man here for rads.