NC30 Reg/rec?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR 400 NC30(current)
NC30 Reg/rec?

Post by Joelaman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Good Day all,

Ive had the V4 for more than a year now and ive had very little problem, but in the last week or two ive popped my instrument fuse 4 times, and last night i popped my main fuse, read around a bit and a lot of the googles and ive come to a conclusion that the reg/rec might be the problem(lights flicker and electrical components arent stable). thanks to the grey bike issue ive found it very hard to find a replacement reg/rec, ive heard that you can use reg/recs for other models but i dont want to cause long term problems.

1. Can someone help me to find out or confirm if it is the reg/rec.

2. Can someone confirm if i can use a different bike's reg/rec and if yes, what models of bikes.

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me, as i'm electrically challenged.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC30 Reg/rec?

Post by magg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

Do you have a multimeter.

Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Joelaman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:19 am

yea i do

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 am

Connect it across the battery and measure the voltage while the engine is running.

At idle with lights off, the voltage should be at least 12 volts and should increase to no more than 15.5 volts when rpm is 5000 or more.

More than 15.5 volts is a faulty rect/reg and less than 14.5 volts is either a faulty rec/reg, alternator or wiring.

The results from the tests above will dictate what to do next.

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 am

Very common question. this subject seems to come up a lot is it worth a sticky pin admin admin?
Also search YouTube for testing reg/rec

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

There is one in the document library along with much other info but no one seems interested in checking it out and when I have nothing better to do I will answer member questions directly.

Joelaman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Joelaman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Okay, i did what you said, i went on the document library found the article, followed everything.

First of all, idle, 12.7 volt at 5,500 rpm it sits at 14.2 volt. seems thats not the problem

Secondly, while doing said tests, my father found that my earth cable to my battery was rather loose, tightened that up and the bike runs normal again.

last question, can the loose earth wire cause all the problems ive had so far?(instrument fuse popping and main fuse popping)

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 pm

One additional test I would recommend would be to measure the battery voltage with the headlights on set to high beam at 5000rpm, you should still get 14.5 volt.

Loose battery earth lead should have made starter motor action poor, but would also effect general electrical system. You could also check the electrical loom earth connection to the frame, located on the right side of the bike just in front of the ignition coil.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Joelaman wrote:Okay, i did what you said, i went on the document library found the article, followed everything.

First of all, idle, 12.7 volt at 5,500 rpm it sits at 14.2 volt. seems thats not the problem

Secondly, while doing said tests, my father found that my earth cable to my battery was rather loose, tightened that up and the bike runs normal again.

last question, can the loose earth wire cause all the problems ive had so far?(instrument fuse popping and main fuse popping)
Just saw your previous thread about the butchered bike.

as Magg has said another check of the battery voltage takes seconds and worth it for peice of mind.

the loose earth might not be your cause but you could very well have some other connection / wire shorting out somewhere if you keep popping fuses..
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Reg/recs can also test okay when cold, but fail when good and hot.

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org