NC30 starting/fuelling

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
calal
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC30 starting/fuelling

Post by calal » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 pm

I've lived with this issue for years and maybe it's time to look for a fix. My '91 NC30 is a Japan market bike with the only mods being an M4 slip-on can and Rick's stage 1 jet kit (2007) and starter/coil ground wire kit. When starting cold on full enrichener/choke and no throttle it always lights up, and then falters and dies after a couple of seconds like it's not getting fuel. Second try it nearly dies again but then seems to recover and run. Warms up quickly and always starts when warm. I was surprised when I installed the jet kit and cleaned the already clean carbs, that the problem didn't go away. The ground wire kit didn't fix it either. New plugs the same. Runs great otherwise. My notes tell me I have #35 pilot jets installed, and none came with the kit - should I try going bigger? Haven't tried more than 2 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws.

Thanks
Alan