NC35 odometer stuck, speedo works

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Tonybv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC35 odometer stuck, speedo works

Post by Tonybv9 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Everyone, first post, and a bit of a long one.

Anyway, my wife's NC35 has a problem with the odometer; it's stuck at 17999. The white "tenths" dial goes round, but it doesn't trip the others to change to 18000.
I've had the clocks apart and fiddled with the dials, but to no avail. They work in reverse, oddly, and when I turn the worm/cog bit by hand there is a click as the tenths dial passes 9, but the miles stay put.

It doesn't look possible to get the dials out without wrecking the assembly. Any ideas gratefully received.

Ebay has shown up a replacement set at a ridiculous £249. Failing that, the CBR400 panel looks identical, and is much cheaper. Does anyone know if I could just take the speedo bit from a CBR and fit that into the RVF? I have a converter gear fitted to the end of the speedo cable, so restrictions shouldn't matter

I can't really just live with it, as sadly the bike is going up for sale. Thanks in advance.

Tonybv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC35 odometer stuck, speedo works

Post by Tonybv9 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Fixed it - I hope. I managed to force the cogs round to 18000 and turned the gear to test if it clicked over to 18001. It did. I suppose the problem was changing four cogs in one go. I'll fit it back on and test it, and hope it goes to 18010.
Let's hear it for good old brute force.

Andy666
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC35 odometer stuck, speedo works

Post by Andy666 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Funny old thing, my NC30 is stuck at 13,999. Haven't got round to having a look yet. Hope mine's as easy to fix!