Unstable revs at idle...any ideas?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Unstable revs at idle...any ideas?

Post by Minimoto » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 am

Hi. Any ideas why the revs should vary at idle? After a few minutes the revs will surge to 2000 or slightly more, then drop back to around 1300-1400. Then pick up again a while later...

I've just stripped and cleaned the carbs, but the bike used to do it before anyway. I'll try and get a video of it happening. But in the meantime I was wondering if anyone might know what could be causing this...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Johannes
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Unstable revs at idle...any ideas?

Post by Johannes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi minimoto, no expert but on the 24 common problems are, blocked jets and perforated rubbers that connect the carbs to the blocks. Air gets drawn in by the vaccum caused when the engine runs, the revs raise and then more air gets sucked in etc etc.

Also check that the circlips on the rubbers are tight. I had one missing! hardly surprising my revs were all over the shop!

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Cracked intake manifold or more probably wrong carbs syncro. In any case something on the fuel intake side.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Minimoto wrote:Hi. Any ideas why the revs should vary at idle? After a few minutes the revs will surge to 2000 or slightly more, then drop back to around 1300-1400. Then pick up again a while later...

I've just stripped and cleaned the carbs, but the bike used to do it before anyway. I'll try and get a video of it happening. But in the meantime I was wondering if anyone might know what could be causing this...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
as above... likely an airleak / craked old carb rubbers / bad fitting carbs.

occasionally carbs can be well out of balance but most likely air leak if all carbs are set right.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Thread resurrection from June 13th

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions: