The reason my NC30 didnt run well: 50psi compression!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
TessierAshpoolSA
Settled in member
Reactions:
The reason my NC30 didnt run well: 50psi compression!

Post by TessierAshpoolSA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 am

So, yeah. Spent a lot of money getting it ready for trackdays this summer: tyres, carb kits and ultrasonic cleaning/setup, plus the usual oil and filter and rad flush and so forth. I thought because it had had carb trouble (old fuel turning to varnish) that that was the problem. But it started and ran, just not well and would not pull through the revs or out of a corner. So, um, yeah.

My point is that if you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

It took a third party to step back and say "Have you started with the basics before chasing esoteric fixes: compression test, leakdown test, valve clearances etc then move on to peripherals.."

All I can say is "Doh" and I'm posting my tale of woe as a warning to others.

Now I have to decide if I want to rebuild it, or just quit it and buy something modern for trackdays. I like the idea of a 428cc one (hey, if its in bits, why not?) but the cost is well up there....

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR
Re: The reason my NC30 didnt run well: 50psi compression!

Post by Morespeedvicar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:11 am

It may just be valve clearances that's tight, so I'd check them before condemning the engine.

TessierAshpoolSA
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: The reason my NC30 didnt run well: 50psi compression!

Post by TessierAshpoolSA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:49 am

Sadly not. valve clearances checked and compression checked too :(