Is my engine seized?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rubenastley
Settled in member
Reactions:
Is my engine seized?

Post by rubenastley » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 am

Hello guys,

So I left my bike in the shed for two years. When I tried to start the engine the carburetors flooded. The engine hydrolocked and I cleared it out by removing the spark plugs and cranking. The bike sputters a bit and turns on for a few seconds every now and again. The starter motor moves the rear wheel but the wheel will not move freely in neutral or any gear with the clutch in. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If the start motor movies the wheel, does it mean the engine is not seized?

Ozzibiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VTR250 / VFR400
Re: Is my engine seized?

Post by Ozzibiker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:46 am

I had something similar on a different bike. Quite possibly the clutch plates are sticking. On bike I had, I could separate plates by sticking a screwdriver in through the oil filler, but I don't think you can do this with the VFR. You might be able to free the plates by rocking the rear wheel back and forth. Otherwise clutch cover off and free by hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:15 am

has the chain seized up?
You'll prob need to rebuild the carbs, and maybe check the oil to see if its full of petrol.
Why are you cranking the bike over in gear on the starter?
Cheers
Ian

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am

In neutral, clutch in, any gear? Neutral negates clutch, no freewheel suggests oil has turned to treacle, lucky it did not start. Would think after standing for 2 years, an oil change, fresh tank of fuel and carby clean, assuming they were not drained prior to layup, would be the minimum.