any difference between Jap Spec & uk spec engines

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli
any difference between Jap Spec & uk spec engines

Post by rigsby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi,

I have the option of buying a spare engine for my nc30 race bike, the guy who owns the engine removed it from a uk spec nc 30 because the chain derailed and holed the crankcases by the final drive sprocket. He replaced it with a jap spec engine . He is convinced that the uk spec engine is slightly different than the jap one and that the uk engine is more powerful in stock trim than tha jap one. I know that the carbs were different on uk/ jap import bikes but i would have thought the engines would be the same, he said he weighed the flywheels (for some reason) and the uk one was lighter, this wont matter to me as i run total loss with no fly wheel though, but if anyone knows of any differences between the two that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

richyrd5
Reactions:
Re: any difference between Jap Spec & uk spec engines

Post by richyrd5 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am

UK motor had different jetting and twin oil pumps for the cooling circuit... Apart from that they're the same..never heard of flywheels being lighter on UK model

pauliealdridge69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc30,35,998s

Post by pauliealdridge69 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 am

The rvf flywheel is lighter.
Quite possible someone had changed it over through the years when a genny packed up.
When I did the gsxr genny conversion I weighed mine for comparison. The rvf side walls were thinner.
Both motors are the same other than the oil pump.
Just picked up said bike I think lol
Only reason I want the uk lump is to repair and reunite it with the correct frame :)

rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli

Post by rigsby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info that has put my mind at rest. Can anybody explain the reason for the change in oil pump for the uk spec engine, which engine had the superior oil pump? and is it of any benefit over the jap version.

Thanks again

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:13 pm

The UK bike has an oil cooler, the Japanese market bike doesn't.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am

jim157 wrote:The UK bike has an oil cooler, the Japanese market bike doesn't.
Yep... Castings are already in the block.. fit an NC24 oilpump and you can retro-fit.

I heard a long time ago it was done as a marketing ploy to compete with the ZXR400 but if there is any truth to that i don't know.. the NC24 had oil cooler as stock... Temperatures in Japan are a lot hotter than the UK but they deemed the oil cooler unnecessary so no idea why it was added to UK model?

Stock exhaust is different too, maybe camshafts also, id have to check the microfiches..

I think the UK nc30 was specced at 65hp and the jdm 60?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...