RVF Carbs split down

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: RVF Carbs split down

Post by Minimoto » Tue May 30, 2017 11:04 am

st22041967 wrote:Hmm you could try

http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_NC30.html

OEM kits are rare and expensive....
Thanks st!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Minimoto » Tue May 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Think I'll drill the slide to 2.5mm whilst I'm at it.

Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Minimoto » Wed May 31, 2017 1:48 am

Ok. I haven't drilled the slides yet. Read a few more posts and saw some conflicting advice. I have put an additional washer under the needles to see what difference it makes first. If I want to drill I can do it later. Got it all back together now. Just hoping all the seals are ok...Image

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 am

I have just done the carb strip and clean (nc30). I re used the float bowl gasket with a small bit of hondabond.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Minimoto » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 am

Hi Turk, I prefer the look of your workshop! I used a bit of grease on my float bowls. I wasn't sure about the O rings on the fuel connectors when putting mine back together. Hopefully they'll be ok...

blknoel
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 NC30

Post by blknoel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 am

When you start out with carbs tuning always change 1 variable at a time. Another good advice is if you are not sure, revert everything to stock and work from there.

Also, the drill slide with 2.5mm bit is for NC30 carbs (round slide CV type), the NC35 carbs are CV type still but with *flat* slides, so drilling it out is not recommended, might do more harm than good.

Before you go into any *tweaking*, here's a good checklist:
- correct mains in the correct carbs (NC35s are 108 all round, NC30s different front/rear)
- correct emulsion tubes in the correct carbs (different front/rear)
- correct needles in the correct carbs (different front/rear)
- correct float height !!! (this is way underestimated, if you don't set this right all your tweaking will be shooting in the dark)
- correct bellmouths /velocity stacks/trumpets (god knows how many names that single part has) in the correct carbs
- slides not sticking (after assembly use 1 finger and push up each slide to test suction and release)
- float valves operate properly (clean, not sticking, closing and sealing well)
- seals are good (last thing you want is have it all correct, running sweet but leaking all over the place)
- balance them

On these bikes I find what impact jetting the most is the intake side, exhaust flows pretty freely and is not a restriction. That's why many full systems make do with only 1 or 2 upjet(110s or 112s for NC35) as long as you keep the intake stock. However once you open up the inlet side of things, you might have to go as big as 130-140 (race bikes, filterless/airboxless/ramair etc.)

Ideally, dyno is always nice if you can do it. Good luck.

Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Minimoto » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I've just been tinkering and thought I'd let you know where I've got to.

- I've added washers from a spare set of carbs to raise all the needles. So that 2 stock washers on each.

- I've fitted 112 Keihin main jets all round.

- I've set the float height (or at least tried to) to whatever it said in the book (12.5mm). It was quite hard to do though so not quite sure how accurate I've been - or how critical this really is.

- I borrowed a carb balancer kit from a friend to give that a go tonight but the attachment thread was different, so I'll leave it to an expert once I've got the bike into a good state and back on the road.

- I've not drilled the slides but have made contact with Rick to order some HRC springs.

- Think I'll also order a complete seal kit and possibly an Allen bolt set.

- I did find that for some reason I'd not screwed out one of the pilot jets at all. I went round and set them all to 1 3/4 even though the book says 1 5/8.

- I checked all the needles and emulsion tubes, and all is ok. Trumpets and slides are all ok too.

- I have a spare set of trumpets. Is it worth swapping out the long ones on the bike for my spare short pair? Would it make any difference?

I live near Swindon and will start looking for a good bike shop with a dyno to see what's going on.

Cheers,
Dave

Minimoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Minimoto » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Here are my pipes...Image

Suzuki416
Familiar Member