RVF Carbs split down

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
RVFRICK
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Re: RVF Carbs split down

Post by RVFRICK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 am

blknoel wrote:When you start out with carbs tuning always change 1 variable at a time. Another good advice is if you are not sure, revert everything to stock and work from there.

Also, the drill slide with 2.5mm bit is for NC30 carbs (round slide CV type), the NC35 carbs are CV type still but with *flat* slides, so drilling it out is not recommended, might do more harm than good.

Before you go into any *tweaking*, here's a good checklist:
- correct mains in the correct carbs (NC35s are 108 all round, NC30s different front/rear)
- correct emulsion tubes in the correct carbs (different front/rear)
- correct needles in the correct carbs (different front/rear)
- correct float height !!! (this is way underestimated, if you don't set this right all your tweaking will be shooting in the dark)
- correct bellmouths /velocity stacks/trumpets (god knows how many names that single part has) in the correct carbs
- slides not sticking (after assembly use 1 finger and push up each slide to test suction and release)
- float valves operate properly (clean, not sticking, closing and sealing well)
- seals are good (last thing you want is have it all correct, running sweet but leaking all over the place)
- balance them

On these bikes I find what impact jetting the most is the intake side, exhaust flows pretty freely and is not a restriction. That's why many full systems make do with only 1 or 2 upjet(110s or 112s for NC35) as long as you keep the intake stock. However once you open up the inlet side of things, you might have to go as big as 130-140 (race bikes, filterless/airboxless/ramair etc.)

Ideally, dyno is always nice if you can do it. Good luck.
Putting my carbs back together. All my needles are the same, i.e. No front vs back difference. They have J8VA stamped on them. Are you sure front v. rear needles on NC35 supposed to be different?

blknoel
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 NC30
Re: RVF Carbs split down

Post by blknoel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:08 am

Sorry for late reply. Yea I must have mixed it up with NC30 carbs. Stock NC35 has only 1 type of needle ie. J8VA.