NC 30 dry clutch and several other trick bits

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mathatch
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 Race NC30 Road
NC 30 dry clutch and several other trick bits

Post by mathatch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:05 pm

where to start?
i have been working on my NC30 race project for a few years now, i decided to make a dry clutch for it mainly because i can :grin: it is not yet completed but 80% of the way there. so some picys.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
this is the solidworks drawing i started, with the tricky part being the cover, most of the other components are modified standard clutch parts. i planned to make the cover in carbon fibre. to start you have to make a plug (a male of what you want) this is made on the CNC machine at work (quite handy to just have one of those to play with :P )
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
once the plug is machined it is lightly sanded with VERY fine emery paper and given many coats of a sealing agent and then a release agent. once it is sealed and released a fibre glass mould is taken.
Image[/URL] the mould with the aluminium inserts which will be put in with the carbon and be bonded together. this is as far as i have got with the cover, hopefully more progress on that soon :)

mathatch
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC 30 dry clutch and several other trick bits

Post by mathatch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 pm

now for some of the other clutch parts.
i was going to use an NC24 clutch basket as this was going to make my life easier. but i decided that if i was going to go through all this time and effort i might as well keep the slipper clutch and do a proper job.
all i had to do to the primary drive gear was drill and tap holes to bolt the outer basket to it with.
now the outer basket slightly more tricky, the inside has to be machined to take a steel washer/shim and have the holes put in it for the bolts aswell also the centre is machined out for an aluminium bush which holds the seal and goes out the back to locate it on the steel bush behind the basket.
trying it all on the engine with a mock up 3D printed cover

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am

Excellent work.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

dgunthor
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by dgunthor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 am

nice job! what's the difference between a dry and wet clutch? (i know the wet one runs in oil!)

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

I admire the effort! I love projects like this :smile:

One question though (since I know my Ducati dry clutch intimately...) Isn't that going to be super vulnerable in a crash? The Ducati case cover and even the RVF400 F3 bike with the dry clutch still uses a deep case cover that shrouds the clutch. If you low-sided on that side, wouldn't the clutch (and possibly the gearbox) get completely munted?

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am

Following!

Do you intended to start selling 'kits'?

mathatch
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mathatch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Timon wrote:Following!

Do you intended to start selling 'kits'?
I have not decided on whether or not to sell kits it might not work any way so I don't want to get ahead of myself in that respect but if I ever do then I will do them with a magnesium cover not carbon fibre.

mathatch
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mathatch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 pm

lukemillar wrote:I admire the effort! I love projects like this :smile:

One question though (since I know my Ducati dry clutch intimately...) Isn't that going to be super vulnerable in a crash? The Ducati case cover and even the RVF400 F3 bike with the dry clutch still uses a deep case cover that shrouds the clutch. If you low-sided on that side, wouldn't the clutch (and possibly the gearbox) get completely munted?
the clutch basket is shorter than standard so does not stick out from the frame very much so to do any real damage to the clutch I would have to do a lot more damage to the bike in which case a Brocken clutch basket would be the least of my worries. things like TZ's run like this anyway with some poxy little cover that wont provide any real protection.

mathatch
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mathatch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:42 pm

dgunthor wrote:nice job! what's the difference between a dry and wet clutch? (i know the wet one runs in oil!)
dry clutches are lighter, use less plates, don't tend to slip with much greater horse power but slip continuously on racing starts. not sure about home made ones though :roll:

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Really interested in this, if you ever want to sell a full kit or even test one on circuit in action I'd happy to help out, currently racing my NC30 with bemsee on short circuits and onto the roads next year. Drop me a PM if it's something your interested in.