NC35 rear hub disassembly

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R
NC35 rear hub disassembly

Post by speedy231278 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Apart from the sprocket carrier probably being an utter bastard to get off, is there anything else I should know? I have impact sockets the right size for both the wheel and sprocket carrier nuts (at least, if I measured right, I got 36 and 46mm). Rattle gun goes up to 400NM, torque wrench has 205 in the range. Have an ABBA stand. Have the realisation that I may simply find I cannot get the thing off, but I'd prefer to try before paying someone a fortune to do it.

Is the circlip going to require anything out of the ordinary? ie will a 'normal' pair of circlip pliers reach it properly and be man enough for the job? Nothing trick or anything like that?

Rear nuts are scabby and I note the sprocket nuts and brake disc nuts are the same. Was pondering about Ti bit to replace them with. Is there any reason why Ti should be avoided on high loaded stuff like this on a road bike?

gavins
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, ER6f, K5 750
Re: NC35 rear hub disassembly

Post by gavins » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 pm

When i did mine the rear hub nut had been over tightened by a previous owner. Even with the bike in gear it was turning the engine over and turning the back wheel against the floor. In the end i had to use an old fork leg over my breaker bar, wedge the front tyre against a wall with the brake cable tied on and load the rear of the bike with around about 50kg to give the back wheel enough resistance to undo it.

The circlip is a pita but can be done with just a flat screwdriver or two if necessary, and lever it out (refitting is fun as well). I don't think my 'ordinary' size circlip pliers were any good for it on their own but i think i used them to get enough of a gap to get the screwdriver in.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Ordinary circlip piliers are useless you need some big ones but like i said before i dont have a set and have always got by improvising, if you can get a set though id recommend it

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by speedy231278 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:17 pm

You reckon 13" ones would do?

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35’s, NC30 sold, MC34 many

Post by micpec » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 pm

"Ordinary" like these..?

"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 pm

speedy231278 wrote:You reckon 13" ones would do?
No idea, the only ones ive tried that worked i borrowed off a mate who's a truck mech and they were huge!

Pretty sure those that mipec has mentioned wont do

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 am

gavins wrote:When i did mine the rear hub nut had been over tightened by a previous owner. Even with the bike in gear it was turning the engine over and turning the back wheel against the floor. In the end i had to use an old fork leg over my breaker bar, wedge the front tyre against a wall with the brake cable tied on and load the rear of the bike with around about 50kg to give the back wheel enough resistance to undo it.

The circlip is a pita but can be done with just a flat screwdriver or two if necessary, and lever it out (refitting is fun as well). I don't think my 'ordinary' size circlip pliers were any good for it on their own but i think i used them to get enough of a gap to get the screwdriver in.
high strenth rattle gun will get it off without moving the wheel at all..

big circlip plier or impravise.. my pliers have changable heads, i think the 2.5mm forks did it. done them with screwdrivers in the past when no tools avaible
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by speedy231278 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:26 am

I don't really like the idea of the interchanging heads. It might save a few quid on handles, but to me they just seem like an extra weakness to fail right at the worst moment!

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:33 am

speedy231278 wrote:I don't really like the idea of the interchanging heads. It might save a few quid on handles, but to me they just seem like an extra weakness to fail right at the worst moment!
Not if you buy good pliers, i have two sets ( an in and out opening handle).. the heads are huge and are held in with allen bolts.

The handles were about 30 quid each i think and the tips range between 8 - 15 a set depending on if they are bent or straight, but they will handle pretty much everything.

only used one of thoese cheap pressed steel multi things once and they didnt feel like they were upto much
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by speedy231278 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Never did finish this thread. Got some 13" circlip pliers from ebay. Hub nut came off fine. Sprocket carrier came off fine. Hub took a little persuading due to the amount of road grot that had found a way in, but was fine. Everything came apart great and went back together great. I was almost in shock! lol