Replace HT leads?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Micro Monkey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CG125, RVF400, YZF1000SP, 996
Re: Replace HT leads?

Post by Micro Monkey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:16 pm

The first thing you need to do is using a flat blade screwdriver unscrew the fitting that fits on the threaded part of the plug. It will not come out completely but you will notice it begins to move in the plug cap. You wll then be able to remove this ensuring not to lose the small spring type clip that is inside it. A spring and another part will come out. remember how they fit inside the cap. The next part is to remove the lead from the cap itself. On the end of the leads that are inside the plug caps are little dome shape discs soldered to the wires. The discs fits in a little recess in the plug caps and makes them difficult to remove. The way i did it was using a socket driver of i think 5mm stick this in the plug cap and push until the wire and disc come out. Cut the damaged wire off and clean up the disc. On the new wire strip about 8mm of the casing away. What i did was drill a small hole through the disc, fit the new copper wire through, (a bit of excess sticking through is fine) and solder into the hole made. Using a file flatten the excess solder and smooth until it looked like it did before( slightly domed). Push this into the plug cap until it seats then fit the bits back in and screw the spark plug fitting back into the cap. Finished. I hope it makes sense.

I only did this on two of them but they work fine.

NC35!
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC35! » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:34 pm

hannakournikova wrote:Rick O obv has, why not drop him a mail?
It looks and sounds like Rick has replaced the standard plug caps with aftermarket NGK ones. I'd like to if possible retain the OE ones.

Thanks however to Micro Monkey - reads perfectly sensibly and I'll give it a try. Many thanks Sir!

NC35!
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC35! » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 pm

I gave it a go, and it has to be one of the easiest jobs I've undertaken to date. I'm glad I done it too - between the screwed plug contact and the soldered disk there is a small insulated part - maybe a resistor device of some sort? I never bothered to check - and the end of this which presses against the soldered cap was heavily rusted in three of the four leads. I took the time to clean these up also, and once back together I was getting a very solid 23.9 Kohms cap to cap. So not only have I got nice flexible new HT leads, I know all the parts within the plug caps are clean and healthy too!
Many thanks again to Micro Monkey for the "how-to" Image

bushmaster86
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Bike owned: '10 Daytona 675, '96 RVF400RT

Post by bushmaster86 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Brilliant! Solved my issues. Cheers all!