G1B50N's Angel Eye Install

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
g1b50n
Settled in member
Reactions:
G1B50N's Angel Eye Install

Post by g1b50n » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:39 pm

I like keeping things original usually but I fancied changing my sidelights on my NC30 for something different. Im all for being seen by dosey drivers at junctions and these 6500k Bright Angel eyes for sidelights seemed a good idea to have on along with my dipped beam lights.

90mm Angel Eye LED Install

It says they are 100mm but just message the Seller and kindly request 90mm ones instead. Service is brilliant.

Link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-100mm-BMW- ... 41568131d5

If anyone is interested ive put a guide together below...

Tools :
Allen keys.
Ratchet & Socket.
Spanner.
Wire Cutters/Strippers.
Long Nose Pliers.
Heat Gun.
Screw Drivers

Parts:
4x Male Bullet Connectors
4x Female Bullet Connectors
2x 90mm LED Angel Eyes
Araldite Glue

GUIDE:

Step 1
Using correct size Allen keys (If Applicable) remove all bolts securing front Nose cone, 1x Bolt between headlights and 2x bolts either side underneath the Nose Cone above the front mudguard.

Step 2
Using the Ratchet and socket or spanner remove the 2x Nuts on each of the mirrors.

Step 3
Once all the bolts are removed from Nose cone and Mirrors are removed and placed away the nose will still sit there quite snug. Locate the 2x Bullet connectors for each front indicator and disconnect them. Carefully remove the Nose cone and put it somewhere safe.

Step 4
Now you have alot of access to the front headlights. Whilst everything is still secure you might aswell remove the 3 pin connector on the back of each H4 bulb. Sometimes they can take a bit of wiggling off so its just a bit easier whilst the headlights are still attatched. Pull the sidelight bulb gromit out aswell and leave it hanging.Also spray some WD40 on the back of the 3x bolts holding each headlight in.

Step 5
On the Nearside headlight one of the bolts in particular is hidden by the clocks, Using a 10mm socket on an extension remove the 2x bolts which secure the Clocks in. One of these 10mm bolts is under the wiring loom which travels through the clocks.

Each headlight is secured in by 3x bolts which require a philips/cross head screw driver to remove them. These bolts could never off been removed before, could be weathered causing them to be quite tight. Mine started to chew up but I persevered and won the battle lol. The wires for the indicators are fed around each headlight are easily removed.

Step 6
Please dont mix your headlights up, put some tape or Tipex on one of them to mark which side it came off. Your headlights are adjusted accordingly to road. One is higher than the other. If you mix them up youll start to blind other drivers.
Now both your headlights are removed you can remove the the rubber infill flaps which go around the glass lense. Also remove the H4 bulbs and place them somewhere safe if you havent already. The headlights are now ready to be heated with the heatgun to remove the lenses.

Step 7
Using some pliers or a flathead screwdriver bend the 3x tabs back on the metal ring which goes around the lense. Now get your heatgun and heat this metal ring up all round to soften the gum sealant. Have the heatgun in one hand and flathead screwdriver in the other. Pry the ring off gently being careful not to burn your fingers. You can now get the heat directly onto the sealant. Get the sealant nice and soft and locate the flathead screwdriver into gap between the glass lense and pop the lense up. Be careful as the glass lense gets hot. Do the same procedure for the other headlight.

Step 8
Both metal rings and glass lenses are now removed you are left with your headlight housing. Keep the lense that came off each headlight close to the one it came off to save mixing them up. Get your 90mm Angel Eye and place into the reflective headlight housing making sure the two wires go through the hole for the sidelight. You want these wires at 6 Oclock going straight out.

Step 9
Glue the ring into place using some Araldite or any descent glue of your choice. I glued the Angel Eye rings in at 4 places. 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock are where I put the blobs of glue. Apply the glue carefully down the side of the rings so into secures to the reflector. In the picture below you can see the ring securely glued into place.

Step 10
Whilst your waiting for the glue to harden you can get the bullet connectors on the wires on the bike. I literally cut the sidelights off my bike,
On each of the wires on the bike I stripped the ends and put a female bullet connector on each wire. A total of 4 female bullet connectors.

Step 11
The 2x sidelight housings you cut off the bike will house the tiny sidelight bulb, using some long nose pliers carefully pull out the bulb. Then carefully pull the sidelight holder out of the rubber housing using the pliers. You want to use this rubber housing to feed the 2x wires from each of the Angel Eyes through. Youll have to cut the connections off the Angel eye wires to be left with 2 wires . The holes in the sidelight holder are tiny so spray some WD40 in the rubber housing to help feed the wires through then plug the housing/gromit into the back of the headlight unit but be careful not to pull the wires to hard and upset the Angel Eyes. Now this will keep the weather and water out of the headlight units.

Step 12
Now the wires are fed through the sidelight holders and are all secure you can put a Male Bullet connector on each of the wires. Thats 4x Male Bullet connectors in total, putting these on before the sidelight holders will make it hard to feed it on lol. Now all this is done check the glue has hardened and the Angel Eyes are secure. If all is good then the Reassembley of the headlights can begin. Using the heatgun soften the sealant place the glass lense back on. You cant get this wrong as there is a cut out on the lense and also says TOP on the lense.
Once the lense is on heat the sealant up again and place the metal ring back over the glass lense. On my bike where the metal ring had its joining point, that went to the bottom of the headlight. Bend the 3x tabs back and everything is secure.

Step 13
Build everything back up and enjoy. Test that the Angel Eyes work.
LED's are a Diodes so if you have the wires the wrong way round its not the end of the world. Just swap them back round and you should be sorted. Can use some Electricians tape to weather proof the connections.

Results....

It might not be to everyones taste but I quite like them :grin: . Thanks for looking.

webby16
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: vfr 400 nc30
Re: G1B50N's Angel Eye Install

Post by webby16 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I'm very interested in this mod looks great always liked my dads BMW with angel eyes I will get this done over the winter thanks for the post!

Delboy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Delboy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Great post!
10/10 for the mod well done top job mate :peace:
4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Awesome write up, considering this myself, might help idiot drivers realise I'm there!

Even though my end can is quite loud and I ride with dipped beam constantly and florescent bag.

Only the other day I had to swerve round some idiot coming out a junction!

g1b50n
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by g1b50n » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 pm

bikemonkey wrote:Awesome write up, considering this myself, might help idiot drivers realise I'm there!

Even though my end can is quite loud and I ride with dipped beam constantly and florescent bag.

Only the other day I had to swerve round some idiot coming out a junction!
vfrderek wrote:Great post!10/10 for the mod well done top job mate :peace:
webby16 wrote:I'm very interested in this mod looks great always liked my dads BMW with angel eyes I will get this done over the winter thanks for the post!
Thankyou everyone, I should of got more pics throughout the process for yous but i forgot sorry lol. Yeh they are bright for sidelights. I have a tyga maggot pipe and ride with my dipped beam on all the time but ive still had some drivers not see me. So hopefully I should see a great improvement in being noticed by other drivers now.

amorti
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB-1, MSX125

Post by amorti » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I like the job in the pictures, hopefully it doesn't look too boy racer in the flesh?

Don't count on anything forcing anyone to see you. Learn about defensive riding!

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 am

amorti wrote:I like the job in the pictures, hopefully it doesn't look too boy racer in the flesh?

Don't count on anything forcing anyone to see you. Learn about defensive riding!
My thoughts were that. I always ride with the headlights on but riding defensive helps much more, some people wouldnt see my bike if it were bright yellow and white and 100ft tall i think...

Some simplified points about defensive riding.

there is a lot of road for a bike to use compared to a car so you can ride different lines and positions.

With side-roads if you are hugging the curb of the road then drivers cannot see you as well as if you are in the middle of the lane / towards the centre markings. (many times at side roads a driver will have to pull out quite a bit to get a good view, if theres a bike there it can get knocked off)

make eye contact with the drivers, follow their eyes at junctions and side roads, if there not looking at you then they probably havent seen you, think what you will do if they pull out.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

1308lee
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 125 Followed by my NC29

Post by 1308lee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Really interested in doing this to my bike but im unsure about the heat gun on the sealent, how easy is it to.... (for lack of better words) F**K right up?

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Hard to fuck up, easy to burn your hands.

Just be careful when taking the glass lens off as it is obviously glass.

g1b50n
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by g1b50n » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am

1308lee wrote:Really interested in doing this to my bike but im unsure about the heat gun on the sealent, how easy is it to.... (for lack of better words) F**K right up?
bikemonkey wrote:Hard to fuck up, easy to burn your hands.

Just be careful when taking the glass lens off as it is obviously glass.
Its not that to be honest, put a gloves on, you dont have to keep the heat on the metal ring too long then using a flat head scewdriver gently pry the ring off, then the same with the glass lense. You do have to juggle that a bit when you pry that off as it does hold the heat....