How to: fit a BMW s1000rr rear shock to a VFR 400 nc30

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Sharkbait
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Duke 690r, NC30
Re: How to: fit a BMW s1000rr rear shock to a VFR 400 nc30

Post by Sharkbait » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think my system is standard, it came on the bike from Japan and has little hooks where springs should go on pipes under the engine (front pipes don't so it's just clamped). Bike will have 18" rear as well
I'll see how it goes with weight on there, and to answer no chain fitted yet so no tension on there yet either.

Just don't want to have to spend $$$$$ on new exhaust after an already hefty sum for the shock and link :( Or worse go back to standard bed mattress spring setup!

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 am

How much did you pay, BMW shocks are cheap? Hence the reason many people are fitting them?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Sharkbait
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Duke 690r, NC30

Post by Sharkbait » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:20 am

Shock was USD$90 + $50 postage to Australia + the HRC link (expensive part) @ 250GBP.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 am

Sharkbait wrote:Shock was USD$90 + $50 postage to Australia + the HRC link (expensive part) @ 250GBP.
I think I'm gonna go down this path eventually.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 am

Cammo wrote:
Sharkbait wrote:Shock was USD$90 + $50 postage to Australia + the HRC link (expensive part) @ 250GBP.
I think I'm gonna go down this path eventually.
I dont think its a good setup.

How many people who have fitted this shock actually use it fully, like on a race-track?

Cammo, you ride your bikes on the track right? Id be interested to see your feedback on how one of these shocks perform on a racetrack.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:16 pm

The reason these shocks dont perform that well for everyone thats fitted them is they have no damping control due to the much heavier spring fitted in order for it to work on the NC. The stock BMW shock isnt a bad shock but its well known the damping control is pretty poor, whack a much heavier spring on there and the damping then becomes non existant. If you run the HRC link on a NC then that allows for a softer to be used thats much closer to the original BMW spring so therefore you have some damping control making a half decent shock

jetblack
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 SEED

Post by jetblack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:The reason these shocks dont perform that well for everyone thats fitted them is they have no damping control due to the much heavier spring fitted in order for it to work on the NC. The stock BMW shock isnt a bad shock but its well known the damping control is pretty poor, whack a much heavier spring on there and the damping then becomes non existant. If you run the HRC link on a NC then that allows for a softer to be used thats much closer to the original BMW spring so therefore you have some damping control making a half decent shock

Afraid i have to disagree. I've found the rebound to be absolutely fine. Its certainly streets ahead of the tired old unit it replaced.
It don't matter if i'm fixin' it or ridin' it.

xivlia wrote:sorry about that whole thing jetblack, i just got confused about the whole thing, and i didnt mean any disrespect to you.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Im not saying there shit, pretty much anything is going to be better than a tied standard shock but everyone ive spoke too thats fitted one have all said its a bit pogo stick like, im just stating the reason why its like that.

Anyone remember the RS250 shock conversion? same rules apply, works ok if you just slap a NC spring on it, works even better if you sort the shim stack out aswell. Infact wasn't it known for the RS shocks to blow seals if the shim stack wasn't sorted? or am i thinking of something else.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 pm

You are right Tony on the RS. Mine was modded properly and is still going strong..

I'm not sold on the BMW to be fair - it might feel plush but whether it works or not compared to a POS original shock is not that easy to tell.

I'm keen to understand how the HRC linkage works with any other softer sprung shock - be nice to see some numbers and graphs for it - not that I am some guru, but that to see it written down as a definite "this or that" rate curve is a good thing.

SO, hurry up you HRC linkage posse...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Mark, I posted a pic of the rate curve for the hrc link compared to the std link somewhere, along with some tried and tested input from 999gomez. Will try to find it when I'm on the puter with a proper keyboard.