NC30 - Engine assembly tips + Main Bearing question

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC30 - Engine assembly tips + Main Bearing question

Post by magg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am

An old thread but relevant to my question, have crunched the numbers for bearing shell thickness and crank and rod bearing sizes and OEM spec oil clearances. Results for rods are within Honda's spec range, however, main bearing oil clearances are too tight. Given the rarity and cost of new shells I would like to have some confidence in Honda's selection process and not have further doubts raised by the inconsistencies Honda's published figures.

How have others solved this problem.

JC120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 NC35 RC30 RC45 MC22 NXA

Post by JC120 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Odd that your mains are too tight. Usually it's the other way around. I've never noticed any inconsistencies in Hondas bearings selection so it's difficult to understand what you mean.
V4ia addict

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am

As I said if you take the dimensions from the service manual for the various components that determine the main bearing oil clearance and do the calculations the result falls outside Honda's oil clearance spec. This discrepancy somewhat undermines the shell selection process based on their colour code, particularly when rod bearing calculations work out correct. Testing oil clearance by measurement may be considered the final arbitrator but given the rarity and cost of bearing shells is would be nice to start with faith that the colour to clearance connection is valid.