another carb problem

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
steve92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
another carb problem

Post by steve92 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi i've just cleaned my carbs and followed Data racers guide(thanks data),the bike is all standard apart from the scorpion slip on.

I did the jets 118/120 checked emulsion tubes raised the needles 0.5 and drilled the slides 2.5 and set the pilot screw 2.25 (they where way out).

The carbs where clean with no blockages,then i checked the floats they where set at 12.5 and the haynes manual says this is the rvf setting so i changed it to the vfr setting 6.8.
Iam pretty sure these are vfr carbs as the slides are round so anyone any ideas why this would be?

The bike was running before not the best but did idle good and now its hardly attempting to start,just flooded staight away.
Iam going to move the float settings back to what they where and try again tonight.

Just like to know has anyone come across this before or could it be some thing else and not the floats?

Cheers Steve

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: another carb problem

Post by Neosophist » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Are you measuring the floats from the base of the carb to to top of the float with it just resting on the pin?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 am

As neo said check that you're measuring them correctly.

I don't think you can adjust them to 12.5mm on the vfr, and if they were there will be some running issues!
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

steve92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by steve92 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:41 pm

I sure iam measuring them right as the haynes manual shows a picture,i've set them back to what they were.

Iam going to check all the electrics now as its running much the same as some body else's on here that posted up.

I checked the valves and theyre on their limit so going to do the shims this week,would this make it run this bad or is it only when they are wayout?

Thanks for the replys.

steve92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by steve92 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 am

Got it sorted at last turns out it was the floats,they're back to the 6.8 settings and new plugs helped to.
I've learnt so much about these bikes the last few days it would'nt of happened without this forum so time for me to become site supporter and pay my way.
Thats me nearly ready for kirkistown trackday next sunday :grin:
I'll get some pics up soon.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:27 am

steve92 wrote: I've learnt so much about these bikes the last few days it would'nt of happened without this forum so time for me to become site supporter and pay my way.
Good work mate, that's why I became a site supporter.

Let's hear a report after your trackday!
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '30

Post by MexicanGringo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 am

The hayne's picture&description are a bit ambiguous, here a picture.. Also check the pins are all returning, the pin in one of my valves keeps sticking for some reason, prob full of crud.. And the gauze filter behind the valve seat is also worth checking..