nc30 carb question

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
pugparcels
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 & 929 fireblade
nc30 carb question

Post by pugparcels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

i have replaced my carb rubbers with new, have brand new plugs / battery and have serviced my carbs as per dataracer's guide. standard jets and have set the pilot to 2 & 1/2 turns out as suggested for a race can.

put everything back together last night fuel on, choke fully out & started her up and she fired first time!

query is she was reving around 6 thou which seemed quite a lot to me ( is this normal? ), so i though i would close the choke slightly to get her down to around 5 thou which i thought should be about right. strange thing was as i closed off the choke it made no difference ( it is operating correctly and the idle adjustor is in the same position as before) , i even closed the choke fully and she still ticked over at 6 thou.

she then started to warm up and settle down. i am going to get her on the dyno and get the best jets to do the job with the can etc once she is all road legal.

could i possibly need to alter the pilot settings a bit more? or could it be something else? if 6 thou is about right to start then great but am just a bit concerned the choke open or closed was not making a difference.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: nc30 carb question

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 am

sounds like an air leak? Have you overtightened the rubbers perhaps?

I did this last time I was fettling my racebike - it revved at 9k!! Either that or the chokes are stuck on.

Spray some carb cleaner under the carbs at the rubbers - a jump in revs will indicate the cleaner being sucked in...and an air leak.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

pugparcels
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pugparcels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 am

will try the carb cleaner tonight see what happens, i know they are tight but pretty sure i didnt overtighten them will have a look.

from what i can see i am happy the choke is operating correctly, was just concerned it she was running at 6 thou with the choke fully off, hence why i was wondering if it could be more pilot setting related?

have to say, even though there are a couple of little teething issues she sounds beautiful with the laser can on, managed to set the car alarm off last night once she had warmed up and i was bliping the throttle a bit!

a very deep thundery sound, but as you blip the throttle she has a nice raspy growl i would say a wrc rally car has the same type of tone just beautiful once she is runnnig properly will get some photos in the exhuast section.

MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '30

Post by MexicanGringo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 am

It should idle around 1300rpm when warm, i had a similar problem after adjusting the butterflies, in your case 2 or 3 may be too open.. if so, adjust the linkage screws underneath with a tiny drill bit between the butterflies and the barrels,so they all the same.. Also check the throttle cable isnt over tightened, pulling the butterflies open.. If CMSMJ1's advise doesnt work, try these..

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Pilot screws wont' make it run that high so it shouldn't be those :)

More likely as been said you have a butterfly stuck open / air leak
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

pugparcels
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pugparcels » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 am

really weired, try her last night - not an issue.....? did not adjust anything, was ready to check for air leaks with carb cleaner but she fired and idled correctly on and off the choke.....

thursday will be the real test as im gonna fill the tank with fuel and run her like that, get her nice and warm in the garage then take her for a potter around the close when everyone else has goen to work - hopfully all will go well

but as of last night, if it aint broke - i aint gonna fix it!

MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '30

Post by MexicanGringo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 am

Most likely an air leak then, because too open butterflies dont fix themselves, unless your throttle cable was jammed somewhere... But an air leaks likely to return, you may have to remove and reseat the carbs again, it helps soaking the rubbers in warm water before trying that

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 am

It might also be gone because when parts heat up they get more flexible and can seat themselves properly - I hope this is your result!
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks