How to Video: Replace Clutch Plates (NC30)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R
Re: How to Video: Replace Clutch Plates (NC30)

Post by Sligeach » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:35 am

alexwitham wrote:Your first 'constructive' critisism....New shoes required? :lol:
:twisted: ha ha, they are my grunger kid shoes, an unwanted christmas present!!
the forum user formerly known as declangaelic

Delboy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Delboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Very well done!
Added to my favourites ;)
4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL

PaulR
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by PaulR » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Great guide which I will bookmark and follow when it's my turn. Excellent job! Thank you

Acid
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Rs125 Nc30 Cr500 Sm

Post by Acid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:21 am

great vid declan :mrgreen:

Leighio
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 929 FIREBLADE

Post by Leighio » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 am

Slig great vid mate and a real help to others :peace: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: , just a few things though.

1. Best to pre soak in old engine oil the new clucthc plates for 24hrs.
2. Just be mindful that one of the bearings is directional and needs to be reinserted the correct way round, I cannot remember which one it is but it does have something to do with the slipper part of the clutch.

Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R

Post by Sligeach » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Leighio wrote:Slig great vid mate and a real help to others , just a few things though.

2. Just be mindful that one of the bearings is directional and needs to be reinserted the correct way round,

i did not know that, is that in the haynes somewhere or in the honda workshop manual? and is it the bearing that sits on the end of the pushrod dooberry thingy
the forum user formerly known as declangaelic

Leighio
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 929 FIREBLADE

Post by Leighio » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Am sure it is mentioned in the Haynes but cannot remember just where it is.

SimNC30
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SimNC30 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 am

I found this video a few weeks ago and think it's great - I will be replacing the clutch plates on my NC30 on Friday, probably with the laptop close to hand should anything go wrong!

I haven't had a look at the clutch yet, although last night I checked the box of parts I got given when I bought the bike and saw that I've got a complete clutch basket in there, plus the guy I bought it off told me it had a 'race clutch', so have no idea what to expect when I take the clutch cover off. I'm hoping he just meant he put in heavy duty kevlar plates and a fresh basket as I can't find anything about an aftermarket clutch basket anywhere. We'll see...

Vfr400nc30
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Vfr400nc30 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:23 pm

wow you made it look easy was a right pain in the arse when i done mine.

made a socket to take the clutch nut out and it took two of us to get it off one of us sitting on the bike and on the back brake and the other useing foot power to get it off and also i saw you had a rag i had to use one and it got ripped to pecies as it got pulled through the coggs

nice one tho real help just wish it was up a few months ago

SimNC30
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SimNC30 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I did mine over the weekend and apart from a few silly mistakes it was OK. Interestingly I noticed that at the back of the inner part of the clutch there's meant to be a thrust washer, which mine was missing, so I put one in - I think whoever had done this job last had forgotten to put it back in and had put two at the front. The only problem I had was getting the circlip back in. I found that because the clutch was effectively more built up and thicker than before, getting the circlip to locate in its lip took a bit of persuasion; I had to tap it with an allen key so that the pressure plate moved back for the circlip to locate properly. Once done it was all good and there was feel at the lever. I adjusted the free play in the lever and it seems fine, although I haven't ridden it since then so I'll have to wait and see how it feels and if removing the plates has cured my problem...