NC30 Stick Coils - New take on an old question...

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
NC30 Stick Coils - New take on an old question...

Post by RickOliver » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:10 pm

The pros and cons of stick coils have been thoroughly debated on here before but if anyone is interested I am developing an ignition system which uses CBR600RR `coil on plug` coils and should actually get some tangible benefit from them.

Ignitech have recently released the latest upgrade of their TCIP4 system and one of its new features is the ability to run a four coil `full synchro` ignition pattern on motors which normally run a twin coil `wasted spark` system.

That is to say, the new TCIP4 uses a vacuum sensor connected to #1 cylinder which detects the manifold depression caused by the inlet stroke of the four stroke cycle and, using that as a reference point, will then fire a four coil ignition system only on the compression stroke of each cylinder, rather than firing on both the compression and exhaust strokes (which is what the OEM system with two twin pole ignition coils does).

The main improvement in spark performance will come from the fact that by firing each coil/cylinder only half as often, the dwell (recharging) time for each coil is potentially doubled.

I have fitted up a prototype system on my own NC30 and it performs perfectly when running it up in the workshop - I can`t road test it at the moment as my tank and seat are away at the painters.

There is a bit of extra wiring and plumbing involved - one sub harness from the ignition unit to the vacuum sensor and another to the four plugs, picking up the +12V connections for the new coils from the original coil wiring on the way, plus an extra vacuum hose - but my aim is eventually to supply it as a complete `plug and play` kit containing a ready made loom and a new vacuum take-off spigot and hose as well as the ignition unit and vacuum sensor.

I will post pictures of the installation when I have some spare time..

Rick

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: NC30 Stick Coils - New take on an old question...

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:21 pm

You learn something new every day. I didn't know engines fired on both the compression and exhaust stroke, do all the 400's do it this way or just the nc30?

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:16 pm

Any four cylinder engine which has pistons that rise and fall in pairs (inline 4 or 360 degree crank V-4), which has two twin lead coils and the ignition trigger rotor and pick ups on the crankshaft is running a wasted spark system.

VFR750F models run four single lead ignition coils because they have a 180 degree crankshaft and therefore no two pistons are at TDC at the same time but that is still a wasted spark system because it is triggered off the crankshaft (i.e. once every engine revolution).

To achieve a properly synchronised ignition which only fires every other stroke you either have to put the trigger on the camshaft (which turns at half the crankshaft speed) or use something like the Ignitech system which senses a specific point in the combustion cycle and programs the ignition to fire every other revolution by combining that information with the signal from ignition pick ups on the crankshaft.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:08 am

I like the idea. I did something similar years ago on my F400 bike but it was very Heath Robinson and didn't work as well as it should have. I think my understanding of electronics wasn't sufficient enough to build a system from scratch back then.

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:58 am

Some pictures of the installation...

CBR600RR coils -

Power feed for rear coils from original harness connector (similar arrangement for front pair of coils) -

Vacuum sensor -

Hard working TCIP4 unit running 4 coils, vac sensor, quickshift with adjustable cut in point and shift light -

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm

Nice to see you about Rick :)

I have one of the reallllly old Ignitechs - from before they were first sourced on here. They did 2 types I recall..so would I be right in thinking mine is not compatible with this? I'll have to go and fid out when I go it - thinking about 2008 or 2009 ish? We had a thread on the HRC maps and I had mine sometime before that.

Would I also be thinking that this would allow for using a QS easier - as the coils can be paused indivdually?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 am

Yes, still here...

This is a new set of software for the latest (v96) version of the TCIP4 ignition system, only released a few weeks ago so I`m afraid that you`re finally going to have to replace your ancient v75 if you want to give it a go.

No real difference in the Q/S operation as far as I know.

Rick

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks Rick - as always, appreciated :D

I'll have to get my finger out and see what I end up doing with No9 - the old bugger awaiting my attention and some time with the compression tester
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate