CB400 NC31 wiring harness dilemma

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 CB400 NC31
CB400 NC31 wiring harness dilemma

Post by untonyto » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm revising the wiring harness on my 1992 NC31. A previous owner botched it it. Maybe future owners will say the same about me.

Anyway, a black wire with a brown stripe comes out of the fuse box with +12V power to the flasher relay, both brake switches, temperature gauge, sidestand light, neutral indicator and oil indicator. There's a little orange connector where all these stated wires branch out from the "main" wire out of the fuse box. Problem is, many of the square plugs in this orange connector are loose and the copper at their tips has turned green, so things switch on and off at random times as variables vary. I am unable to find a replacement for this orange multi-connector thing - I don't even know what it's called to start with. Can I cut it out entirely and just solder all the black/brown wires together? Can anyone recommend an elegant and effective solution for this?

I have a similar situation for where the green earth wires come together, fifteen or so of them, at another orange connector but this one is in slightly better shape, although 20+ years of copper oxidation are showing.

Please advise, thanks.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: CB400 NC31 wiring harness dilemma

Post by MadMotoUK » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:38 pm

It's just a quick connect, standard Japanese issue. I'd go for a solder and heat shrink joint, much more reliable.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: CB400 NC31 wiring harness dilemma

Post by CB1pod70 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am

You can push the old pins out of the plastic housing and fit new pins. I bought this kit for not a lot of money but you do need the correct crimping tool
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392195343442 ... %3A2334524

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... rn-handles