To paint or wrap

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: To paint or wrap

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:50 pm

£800 ;)

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 pm

£800 was the in the middle price i was being quoted also had one as high as £1650 . Iv also payed a plastic expert company to fix all the issues so there isnt any filler or dodgy repairs . Then the graphics kit
So total looking at 1200 £ for the new paint . Hopefully will look perfect,

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Do you mean you've paid (or will have paid) £1200 for plastic repair work, paint job and graphics kit? If that's right and you're happy with the final result then I reckon you've got a good deal.
If £1650 was for the paintwork alone then that's very pricey.
I'd be interested to know who did the paintwork and the plastic repairs, it's always useful to have recommendations on this forum. Also who supplied the graphics or was that the paintwork company?

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Thats the total amount after everything the painters have the plastics and tank atm .
My graphics where from classic motorcycle decals and was very impressed with the quality
The plastic repairs where all done at my dads friend he has 30 years experience in plastic repairs and manufacturing the work is amazing i Can pass number on if needed can literally done anything. Even if you have half a pannel he manufactures the remaining bit it’s actually mind blowing .
Paint work is a company called auto refinishing hopefully its a good job if not will be very upset , if i knew how to upload pictures i would .
I have spend a £1500 on the frame being chrome plated it looks amazing the build is done now bar the body work hoping its back soon . They have had it 2 weeks now , sadly it owes me far to
Much money i will never get back but iv wanted a vfr400 all my life and love a project so had to be done .

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am

Whoa, a chrome plated frame! Personally I love the brushed ally look but it's all a matter of taste I guess. That is gonna be a lot of extra polishing 8-) .
You're fortunate in knowing someone who can do such impressive repair work and maybe he did you a special price ;) . Whereabouts (in the country) is he situated?
Shame you can't post pics on the forum (but then neither can I!). You could always send a photo to Jo for next years 400greybike calendar, even I managed to do that.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am

The guy is really reasonable down to earth guy he lives in st helens northwest . The work
He does id never try to repair anything myself again my dad just asked him on a gamble as its not bikes he does he makes pipe work and industrial stuff but he seriously is amazing am im a seriously picky person .
Even the bolt holes that have been over tightenend and pulled through made brand new ones all welded
In no filler or fiberglass its better than factory .
The chrome doesnt need polishing thats why i payed
The extra instead of hand polishing the frame. Just wipe it with a microfiber .Every single other item has been powder coated . Its like brand new just hope it rides as good as it looks as i havnt even ridden it yet . I purchased it as been layed up for 15 years .

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 am

Not ridden it? I'm assuming the engine ran ok..of course it did. Might have been a good idea to check it over mechanically before shelling out such a pile of cash for the cosmetics. Let's hope it turns out to be a good 'un.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Yer iv had it running and ran the gears up on the stand before i started . Then stripped it has had a nut and bolt job . . Iv stripped and cases and heads off the engine and looks new inside then they where powdercoated . The bike only has 11k on the speedo . Theres no way i could of rode the bike when it arrived. Im just hoping it rides ok
With no issues when on the tarmac . Im sure the engine has had some kind of tuning as the inlets on the carb side are larger than normal and polished finish .compared to the other engine i have as a spare . But still running original uk exhaust with 118’ jets all the way round that seems odd but ill have to see how It feels before i look into that side . Hoping its been set like that for a reason.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am

Foxy400 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am
Shame you can't post pics on the forum (but then neither can I!). You could always send a photo to Jo for next years 400greybike calendar, even I managed to do that.
It is only Photobucket that doesn't work anymore. I currently use Imgur and that works fine, but there are also other (free) photo hosting sites available such as Postimage etc

:worth:

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 am

Well im most upset iv been waiting 4 weeks to find out the company hasnt even started my bike so lost my head and took it all back off them , time
To find somewhere else to give my my money to