Carbon frame covers NC35

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
Carbon frame covers NC35

Post by Spacey » Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi guys,

Can anyone point me to where I can find carbon frame covers, or under tank covers, whatever they call them. My one side frame has some damage which is near impossible to repair and would like to find some covers for it. Not hydra dipped stuff though, needs to be actual woven carbon.

Thanks in advance!
Rudolf

richyrd5
Reactions:
Re: Carbon frame covers NC35

Post by richyrd5 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Try dreamcarbon or others on ebay.tyga ones I guess are the best quality but so is price,although your looking,at between £70-£100 for a set...

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Tue May 31, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks man, sorry don't get nearly enough time for the forums, been meaning to reply sooner. I searched far and wide, nothing I could find buyable. Nothing on Ebay, Tyga doesn't make any unfortunately. Looks like the only way around this problem is to make them myself, not the cheapest option either but seems like for now the only one. :x

I did speak to my buddy who is the local Tyga supplier and he reckons with enough beggin Tyga will probably be able to make me a set, but who knows. I ordered the materials to make em, will give it a bash.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Rudolf

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:04 pm

There's a set on ebay right now.don't know how to do the link sorry,but there's always a set usually going..have a looksie!!

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm

AUTOEXEC.TWAT

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:19 pm

Yup,that's the ones!!

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 am

Thank you gentleman, that's what I'm looking for. I was searching ebay.com for some reason they don't pop up there. Unfortunately I'm in South Africa and the exchange makes those a little more expensive than I hoped. I got all the materials needed to make them myself for little less than a 1/4 of the price of those. Admittingly if they were half the price I would have been all over them no doubt. Going to quickly have a go at making them, if I fail hopefully those are still available.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi Guys,

So sorry I know it's been months, I battle to find time to get to the forums. Anyways, I did eventually get my covers made. Originally I was a little miffed with the end results, I made a lot of mistakes. However I've been riding with them on and to be honest their such a small part of the bike's big picture you really need to stare at the covers for a few minutes to notice the mistakes. I will build new ones one day, when I'm out of projects. Happy I took on the task because I learned A LOT, quickly. So I'm sure the next set will only take me a week or so to put together, instead of the month these took. I've used the skills learned to make some interesting other bits already like a gopro beak mount for my off road helmet so very happy I took on the project. Anyways some pics below. Not going to go into detail, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, will gladly help.

The ugly frame I aimed to hide:

Masked the frame off with Vinyl and applied some ram run in release wax.

First a layer of 80gram glass cloth to give the part some strength

The 200gram Carbon cloth still raw

Carbon going on

Now a few coats of resin to seal the cloth. This stuff is very fragile raw, you cant even touch it too much or you distort the fibres.

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Parts popped off. Now started weeks of applying resin, and flatting it down, more resin, more sanding...you get the idea. I made most of my mistakes here. Learned much.

You can see the grey where it's sanded. The shiny bits still show dimples/valleys that need to be filled.

More layers of resin...

Still rough

Few weeks later and I could sand and polish up to look like this. End result is pretty enough by my standards. :grin:

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:13 pm

bravo - Its great you gave it a go..

My own little take on it is..

Wouldn't it of been better to make a mould of the frame in fibreglass - get it all correct, then use that to make a plug of that part to replicate the frame then once thats perfect, mould it in Carbon...