Tyga fairing

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Tyga fairing

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Finished fitting the Tyga kit. The upper, headlight section turned out to be hard work. A second pair of hands is definitely required - if you try to do it on your own you will damage the paintwork. Remember, there are no instructions and YouTube is no help, so it's down to trial and error. It's more difficult than fitting the original fairing, partly because it's a bigger lump.
After screwing on the headlights I (we) took several goes at manouvering the upper section into position, while carefully negotiating forks, clock case, clip-ons, radiator and screen brace. Eventually it was close enough so that the headlight could be pushed onto it's 'prong' (that sticks out beneath the instrument bracket) and the central bolt above the lights could be loosely secured. At this point connect the lights and check they still work, don't leave it until the end.
I strongly advise taping up all the fairing edges as they will get scraped no matter how careful you are.
Next came the tricky part of lining up all 6 bolt holes (3 per side) so that the upper and lower sections could be joined. This proved very frustrating! When one side was pretty close the other was way off, by over a cm. and visa-versa. After a lot of head-scratching and swearing I came to the conclusion that this section was slightly twisted. Eventually, out of desperation, I secured the central bolt on one side then forced the other side as close as possible, all the time expecting the sickening sound of splitting fairing. It didn't crack. I jammed a bolt in place and very slowly screwed it in. It pulled the 2 sections closer I repeated this with 2 more bolts but decided I'd taken enough risks and left out the last 2 (one each side, nearest the radiator). It's such a tight fit I don't think anything's going to flap around.
Fitting the fairing 'ears' onto their brackets on the screen brace was equally frustrating - when one side was in place the other was out by about 1.5cms. Fortunately they're quite flexible so I eventually got them bolted on and the mirrors fitted.
Indicators went on without problem. The Powerbronze screen was fiddly but I guess if you're fitting one after-market part to another that's only to be expected.
With all bolts secured it's a good, solid fit. Everything lines up and there are no gaps.
Would I recommend the Tyga kit? Yes I would, providing you don't mind the hassle of fitting the indicators and accept there are going to be moments of frustration. Take your time, have lots of tea breaks and you'll get there..and if you need help let me know, I'm an expert now (ha, ha).

Before anyone asks about photos, I do have some before&after shots but the instructions in the FAQ section on how to post pics don't seem to work with my Mac. Or maybe it's just me. Probably. But sorry anyway.
Last edited by Foxy400 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racingt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35, Shand Stoater plus

Post by racingt » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Well done Foxy. i think I'll leave mine to the winter to fit. I really had the impression that it would be easy, so I'm grateful to hear your experiences, thank you.
So, how does it ride??

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 am

Had the bike on the drive yesterday, warmed up and ready to go, then discovered the brake fluid reservoir & bracket fouled on the right-hand Tyga carbon air-duct on full lock and moved the cylinder sideways, potentially letting air into the system. The Tyga version is slightly wider than the original, which might explain it. So the bracket & cylinder had to come off and by the time I'd finished messing about it was raining! Yes, I'm a fair-weather biker.
When you do get round to it, l'd like to know how you get on, in case I've just been unlucky..or incompetent!
Last edited by Foxy400 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 am

Good write up been considering buying a set surprised that you had issues getting it lined up assuming all the clock stay mirror brace and top and bottom side brackets are straight on your bike then would be a bit disappointed at that price was led to believe that the tyga panels were a more accurate fit than the cheapo Chinese stuff ?

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Once they're on they are a very good fit and as I said, I would recommend the Tyga kit. I've not seen the Chinese stuff so I can't comment. The clock stay and screen/mirror brace are brand new (c/o David Silver & cmsl) and I'm confident the top & side brackets are straight (they held the original panels in place and I've not moved them). I'd like to hear how someone else got on. It would help if Tyga included some fitting info or preferably put up a video on YouTube. Next time you're passing south Manchester drop in and take a look!
Got out on the road today. No problems, everything was still on the bike when I got home. I sat and looked at it on the drive for half an hour - it does look good.

racingt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35, Shand Stoater plus

Post by racingt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:21 am

Pics would be good! I lose patience uploading them tho, so understand if it's too much hassle...

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400

Post by Spacey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone's well. Finally got my kit in hand, painter did a reasonable job but seems to have lost interest half way. Left me with a bunch of tinkering and a few runs to sort out but life is still good, I'm a big boy. 8-) I've been blacking out the insides and mostly planning for fitment. I need to give the bike a service and tend to a few small bits while she's naked but then it's time to get the new kit and goodies on. Will try and keep everyone posted as I go along, please feel free to ask questions, not going to type much. There was a little touch up needed here and there, and yes I opted to clear coat it from stock to make it last hopefully a little longer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM6w_7ZD6ZW ... y=saspacey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM69i5SjEFe ... y=saspacey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM69riMDAfO ... y=saspacey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM69wfrD8Nr ... y=saspacey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM9zGE3DXkk ... y=saspacey

Sorry about the links...can't find a way to post the pics on here.

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Spacey, you said 'the painter did a reasonable job but seems to have lost interest'. Does that mean you bought the unpainted kit from Tyga? If so, why didn't you go for their already painted version? My pre-painted version came with the inside already black. Clear-coating is definitely a good idea, I managed to mark mine in a couple of places and a clear-coat might have prevented that.

The Tyga carbon air ducts are the icing on the cake; expensive but very glad I went for them.

I've got a Tyga carbon end can and prefer the look of the original hanger against the carbon. I bought a second riders seat and had it re-covered in 'carbon-look' fabric, with red beading (a company in Hyde, Manchester).
I also found another top yoke, stripped the black paint and had it polished to look like brushed aluminium.
It's a shame I haven't mastered posting photos.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the fitting. Don't forget the heat-resistant lining (I'm sure you wouldn't).

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi Foxy,

This was a pre painted kit, I honestly did not see the kit before it went to the painter but long story short I trust the guy that gave the painter his instructions with my life. Life long friend of mine. Just so happens to be the Tyga importer this side too so I did not exactly pay full price for the kit, so didn't mind a little extra headache at all honestly. He said some parts needed touching up, lines weren't perfect and so on. My friend is OCD so I don't argue. Perhaps the blacked out inner got a little colour to it because of all the touch up, dunno?

I got most of the carbon goodies I will tolerate on a motorcycle for mine, only thing I might still get silly on is the carbon rear wheel hugger, but that would be pushing my carbon tolerance boundries. :grin: Post of a pic of that seat? Would love to see it. And no, I did not think about the heat shielding stuff, so thank you you probably saved a good honest tyga fairing's life today. Haven't been able to source a supplier for the stuff yet local but my friend had a small piece for me lying around which should be able to cover the bottom of the belly pan against the exhausts. Think that is the only high risk area anyways.

Right..on to progress on my side.