Fairing repairs....plastic welding? Glue? Looking for advice

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
stu
Reactions:
Fairing repairs....plastic welding? Glue? Looking for advice

Post by stu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:52 am

After an absolute c**t kicked my bike over a few years ago (and completely ruined all the genuine fairings) i've been riding my RVF with a Chinese fairing kit on it.

I really want genuine fairings back on her so have bought a used set which I plan to toally recondition.

What's the best method for repairing small cracks and replace lugs etc on the plastic fairings? I've searched the net for guides on plastic welding but there doesn't seem to be too much info out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I can't wait to see her back to her original beautiful self!

Cheers
Stu

benny
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 (track), ZX-9R (road)
Re: Fairing repairs....plastic welding? Glue? Looking for ad

Post by benny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Plastex plastic repair. Really nice stuff. Just need that and a dremel can repair cracks and missing lugs.
BRS Racing for up to date bike build and race results.
TT Zero for the electric Superbike build.
DM104 for the road race team.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:01 pm

type in Del boys garage on Youtube and look up his plastic welding or Plastech does work as Benny said

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:40 pm

+1 for Plastex, I've found it to work well.

mika159
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mika159 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Got an awesome way of repairing fairing, cheap too. Get some abs strips for plastic welding, cut into little bits and pop in a glass jar with some abs cement (plumbing shops) leave it for a few days and a thick gloop will result as the solvent melts the plastic. Paint this over the break, it will melt it's way into the fairing and forms a good as new fix, sand down and provided the fix was from the back of the fairing most times its invisible, takes a day or two to dry or quicker with some heat but I leave it for a couple of days to be sure. Works really well, just a bit gooey lmao.

stu
Reactions:

Post by stu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll def give plastex a go for the lugs etc and I'll give Milka's idea a go for a crack and see where to go from there.

Cheers guys