a question about powder coating

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: a question about powder coating

Post by Dynamohum » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Worth doing yourself some places don't worth asking them first .if your getting wheels done get the bearing areas masked along with area the discs bolt onto saves a lot of hassle .if they do bike parts regularly they should do so as a matter of course would check with them.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I had some spoked rims powder coated a while back for my cafe racer and they look really good but they didn't mask off the bloody disc faces! I fitted the discs just to see what it all looked like and one had over 0.5mm run-out just from the coating.
Took quite a while to get off with a Stanley knife blade and some emery cloth.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 pm

dobbslc wrote:I had some spoked rims powder coated a while back for my cafe racer and they look really good but they didn't mask off the bloody disc faces! I fitted the discs just to see what it all looked like and one had over 0.5mm run-out just from the coating.
Took quite a while to get off with a Stanley knife blade and some emery cloth.
Yes i had the same problem, if i ever get any done again they will be taken to a motorbike powdercoaters in Yorkshire who do a good job. They aren't cheap but all the stuff I've had done by them was very good and surfaces/threads were masked off by them before powdercoated

RickDonoghue
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30 & GSXR600 K4

Post by RickDonoghue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks guys!

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 am

Other thing worth noting is that powders can't be mixed like paint can, so you usually find colour options far more limiting. I had some wheels powder coated "gold" but they only had a choice of two which wound up looking like shit mixed with milk rather than gold!

Had them re-sprayed in 2k paint to a colour mix of my spec and now they are perfect. Arguably not as durable but still pretty hard wearing

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30

Post by pptom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 am

I always do, it's easier. I also mask with duck tape anywhere I don't want powder / blasting rather than leave it to the blasters memory. They'll remove it after blasting and replace with a different tape when coating.
Also, make sure there is no grease or oil inside the part. When it goes in the oven it will leach out and ruin / bubble the finish.