Fairings from China/Hong Kong

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Deviant400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, Kona Cowan
Re: Fairings from China/Hong Kong

Post by Deviant400 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 am

here is some shots of the missing dowels/lugs on the seat cowl showin no provisions to attach the light fitting (note the chimny clips) you will need a handful of these unless you use your old ones , 40p each from my local BS there 5mm bolt type , and also i grabbed some self tapper type

heres a shot of the seat lugs ive had to enlarge once the seat is fitted ill plastex the hole a bit to close it up a bit

this shot shows how crap the light cut outs really are :whistle:
not really helped by the fact the lights are just placed inside and not secured yet , but gives an idea on how crummy it looks

and a shot of the seat loosly fitted to the bike, its a tight fit but goes on ok , its not bolted down but should be an ok fit when its stretched over and bolted, (the tank wont be this colour when its finished)
so as you can see its all a bit fiddly but no real major headache as fitting goes, i can live with the crummy lights for now, i think ive got what i paid for, purists will avoid these fairings by a few miles for sure , but if you got mashed OE's and want a new look there well worth considering , my OE panels will be sanded repaired resprayed wrapped and put in the box the new ones came in , when these finally give up and start to fall apart ill have a fesh set of proper panels to go back on :geek:
i hope this little thread will show people the minor probs when toying with a set of hongkong panels, to buy or not to buy, anyone with a bit of skill could probly sort them out ok, ill post up more pics when i get round to fitting sides and lowers,
xivlia wrote:no i am not dead. ive just been trying a few things....
Deviants AM/PM build
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27307

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 am

Your bike registration is almost identical to mine, mines G840 SVV. Yours looks like G440 SVV... :ninja:

Deviant400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Deviant400 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

:o G448 SVV :ninja:
Deviants AM/PM build

Deviant400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Deviant400 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm

fairings on , no major hassle at all , all the front went straight on, no need for any mods there apart from lining the lowers with engine bay heat foil stuff, had to drill 6 holes in all , 2 under the nose cone where the v piece attaches under the lights , and drill 2 holes one per side where the mids join the nose , just to tuffen up the connection a bit really with pop fastners, had to drill 2 little holes under the tail to secure the light fitting and a bit of plastex inside to secure it there too, need to shave a little off the lower right, right in by the exhaust as its quite close and could possibly melt so just need to carve it back a tad other than that im quite happy with it ,just the tank to sort now and mark is on the case doing the decals for me so once thats done i think she will look dandy....not everyones cuppa tea im sure but then each to there own, its certainly diffrent :whistle:

Deviants AM/PM build

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 pm

got a set to go on my uk spec bike which will probably upset the purists on here but tbh got fed up chasing round 19yr bodywork with plastex fixing cracks n lugs etc . still have loads of o/e panels that one day will will get sorted painted to refit at some time in the future .but after dropping the bike last year on left side on a moorland rd at 60 bit the bullet and bought a set of hong kong plastics for 300 delivered all in with no import taxes, in process at moment of fitting them and will get pics of finished result when on bike.. paint finish seems ok but chips easily around edges of mounting holes took growlers advice and used nylon washers under the screws etc the tail section was a bstad to assemble had to do the same on seat mount lugs and plastex in the top light mount bracket from an old t piece to fit lights.but it lined up well with subframe/frame mounts and looks ok on bike apart from the poorly shaped light cut outs as yours has . still to cut a bit of the underside of the nosecone to clear the oil cooler and maybe spray inside of it as its just covered with overspray at present , would say although they are not perfect for the price they are worth a go if your in need of a full bodykit and are willing to spend some time fitting them through time the quality and fit of them may improve lets not forget the japanese produced some poor quality stuff in the early years before getting their act together.

scotjell
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30x2

Post by scotjell » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Apart from the H piece looks quite good for a quick fix if you have good originals and want to keep them intact. Which seller on flea bay did you get them from just incase there are different qualities in the sellers.

Deviant400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Deviant400 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:23 pm

the H piece dont look so bad now is ive fettled with it a bit, i had a stormtrooper set of armour made from abs plastic , with the armour came a large tin of abs weld glue type stuff, i used this to glue the H section into the 2 tail unit sides and now fits a bit tighter,and now the lights are bolted inside its pulled it all together so looks a lot better than in the photos,
the seller was "ganbadehippo" he only has a hand full of fairings in all, and 2 or 3 sets for the nc, my guessing is that as he's not a huge stockist of fairings unlike some on ebay and so probly has the ability to handpick what he gets rather than buy 100's of sets at a time and not be bothered to check them for finish and quality
Deviants AM/PM build

Deviant400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Deviant400 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 pm

just wondering if anyone can ID my front discs, as they were on the bike when i got it and im unsure of the make????
Deviants AM/PM build

viper_biker
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RR, CBR1000RR6

Post by viper_biker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Deviant400 wrote:just wondering if anyone can ID my front discs, as they were on the bike when i got it and im unsure of the make????
They are EBC's. I put some on the CBR last week,

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu30 ... C_1329.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ducati 916, not worth a carrott

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:57 pm

In addition to Devient400's posts, I have just fitted a set of these to my track toy and took some notes and photos along the way.

None of the fairing holes are drilled large enough to take the standard (or aftermarket) step shouldered bolts. If you want to use these you will need to open up the holes, or alternatively, just use some non stepped flat headed bolts.

First of all the holes for the seat unit joining clips are not there and as such you end up just using a nut and bolt.
There is no recess lip for the seat lock mechanism retaining clip to sit into. If this is left free to rotate the seat release does not work properly. All I did was drill an extra hole and fit a nut and bolt so the clip was both held in place and prevented from rotating.This does mean you have an extra bolt/screw head on the outside, but it is not very noticeable when everything is fitted and was worth it in my book for a working seat release catch.
Using the holes provided I fastened the two side pieces together with the H piece.
Like Deviants fairings, the fit was far from brilliant and then needed a couple of holes drilling to secure the rear light assembly.
The seat fitted very well on the right hand side of the bike but if the seat bolt was actually fitted into the hole on the left hand side lug, the seat fitted like this on the left hand side..
Some nifty work with the Dremmle to elongate the hole enabled the seat to sit down properly.
Rest of the fairings went on fairly easily but there is a bit of a misalignment between the uppers and the nose cone (see below). I haven’t set about any fine fettling to try and sort this out yet and what is shown is pretty much at first fitting.

All in all I think they are exactly what they say they are – that is a cheap and cheerful copy. They will need coaxing to fit, may need some holes drilling and holes filled to get them to fit. But having said that you do get a pretty tidy looking bike as long as you don’t look to closely and/or some very trick looking track day colours (tank is still to be painted up to match the rest of the paint).

Can you get therapy for race paint scheme addictions?