Fairings from China/Hong Kong

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
egonski
Settled in member
Reactions:
I bought Chinese fairings!!

Post by egonski » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Started out with this set of West fairings, pretty good paint job but the fairings were quite worn and broken in places and I did want to return it to it's standard colours but without spending a fortune.
This is what it looks like after about three hours work, still bits to do and I have a tank to get sprayed, wheels powder coated, but all in all, not bad.
You will need as many original fixings as possible as the kit comes with no fixings, though it states on the add that a kit is supplied, this consists of about 20 nuts and bolts that are useless!! I did buy this set because I am short of original nuts,bolts and fairing screws and figured this would be a cheap way around it. No chance!. Things like these seat clips are essential to get it all to hold together firmly. A small amount of drilling required but nothing too taxing!. A touch disappointed that this clip is very visible, a bit of black gaffer tape hides it nicely though.

There is nothing at all for the top fixing to screw to. On my original rear panel, there are two lugs for the metal bracket to screw in to. At a push I can remove my bracket and use body filler to fix it in place so that I can use the two screws to secure the light unit more firmly, it is OK, but I will probably do that. A bit of a shame that isn't already included.
Rear light and fairing on the bike. Not a bad fit and relatively pleased with this.

The front lower belly pan for the original has mesh, the copy has a load of holes drilled!. It wouldn't be too hard to fix the mesh in place, but to be honest, I think it looks OK.

All in all, for £230.00 delivered and tax paid, it isn't a bad set. I am not entirely sure that the set on there were Honda fairings anyway as the quality and thickness are not dissimilar. There was a little drilling and some use of a dremel to get a tight fit, but I wasn't expecting perfection so am not too disappointed.
You need various clips and rubbers from your originals as none come with the set, it does come with a clear windscreen, heat shield and crappy looking tank protector and it took just about a month from order to delivery.
The only major headache was with the lower fairings. These have 3 bolts to join them together and hold on to the bike. The two that join the fairing need to have something to screw the bolt into, on my original set there is a metal spiral clip riveted to the lower fairing, the new set has nothing and I didn't know how to solve this as removing and re riveting the clip didn't look like something I could do myself. In the end, a quick look on ebay found a set of M6 allen bolts and spiral clips that should do the trick, cost £5.99!. They do various colour schemes and all in all, if you just want to smarten up a bike, are quite good value. I have spent another ten or twelve quid on new bolts and fixings.
They were off ebay from motoparts-mart.

I know a lot of questions are asked about the pattern fairings and I thought it might be helpful to some of you with regard to making a decision, if you want any more information, drop me a line, I'm more than happy to answer anything I can.

KennonNC29
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Re: I bought Chinese fairings!!

Post by KennonNC29 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 pm

have you not found the bike to be running hotter with the Chinese radiator V-piece?
would be quicker to spray the original than cut apart the Chinese one.

Kennon

scotjell
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30x2
Re: Fairings from China/Hong Kong

Post by scotjell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Personally dremel cut out the holes to give a big aperture like tyga fairings get some of the boy racers mesh grill stuff and bond it in place.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:07 am

As suggested above will save grief good idea..
Not as yet seen anyone mate original panels to Chinese panels successfully last time I tried a genuine v piece against the pattern fairing the mounts were from here to timbuckto :o

Whiteyy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Whiteyy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:27 am

These are the chinese fairings I got last year for my ZXR250

The paintwork was good but they felt quite flimsy and did not line up 100%, look at the side fairing lining up with the nosecone to see what I mean

grubbysubby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc30

Post by grubbysubby » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 am

Had anyone tried the kit from moore speed racing ?
I know its a race kit with no lights but I only need a day time MOT to get me to and from the track

grubbysubby
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by grubbysubby » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Well, I've ordered the cheap crappy ones from china. Needformoto on e bay
£210 including carriage. Plain white, no stickers.
Hopefully I can mould them into place then the paint job will be a custom one using my own companies corporate logo.
I will post a few pics. along the way.

thutchoo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by thutchoo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 am

grubbysubby wrote:Well, I've ordered the cheap crappy ones from china. Needformoto on e bay
£210 including carriage. Plain white, no stickers.
Hopefully I can mould them into place then the paint job will be a custom one using my own companies corporate logo.
I will post a few pics. along the way.
If you are doing a custom job on it anyway would it not have been better getting second hand panels and repairing them if need be?

grubbysubby
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by grubbysubby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm

All the old stuff looked battered and in need of a lot of work. The Chinese stuff was a great price and worth the gamble IMO

jimmytanko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Does anyone know if the Chinese fairings can be bought in the OKI colour scheme?
Would be cheaper to buy them than repair/repaint my OE panels