NC30 UK and Japanese spec and differences.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
NC30 UK and Japanese spec and differences.

Post by CRM » Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 pm

This question gets asked quite a bit, and worthy of making sticky.
NC30's for the UK home market were slightly different to the japanese market bikes. These differences are listed below

Uk bikes had

No speed limiter.
a MPH speedo.
H4 headlamps (using proper H4 layout bulbs and 55/60 watts bulbs).
Headlamp relay and slightly different loom to accomodate the above.
Side lamp bulbs 5w over 1.5w
Heavy duty rectifier - still complete crap, just lasts nearly as long as an OEM ducati one ;-)
Oil cooler - small element is located under the nosecone and pipes feed from the oil filter area.
Oil pump uprated to cope with cooler Same as NC24 item, 2 circuits, one for oil distribution inside the engine, other for cooler.
RC30 style black mirrors (hole mounts are not the same as RC30 but the mirror head is (just wrong colour)
Massive fireblade / RC30 style indicators mounted on different brackets on the front.
Front nosecone has oval holes to allow indicators to pass though (not like jap spec that attach to nosecone) Also while looks identical, its cut back further on the underside to allow the oil cooler to clear but a jap spec one can be easily modded.
Rear undertray is different (has separate numberplate lamp which makes numberplate lower than japanese spec)
Tail section joiner is in 2 parts unlike the jap spec single H piece. The UK one leaves the middle section between the 2 rear lamps exposed like the RC30. Could easily mod a jap spec Tail joiner.
Carbs are slightly different. Metal slides and not plastic, Jetting is richer setting and i think the main jet holders are different too.
Exhaust is a different part no, and is allegedly better flowing but looks identical.
Rear subframe is different to relocate the heavy duty (yeah right o) rectifier a bit further back.
Plaque on the right hand frame spar near the headstock to identify it as a domestic market bike.

Am sure there are a couple more things (mail them over if you know of anything or something needs correcting)

URBAN MYTHS

There were only 200 UK NC30's made - prob more like 2500+
Suspension is firmer for the UK fat ass market - Nope more likely the older japanese market bikes are more shagged out.

To ride they are the same. back to back my F plate jap spec bike was actually quicker and stronger than the same setup on the UK bike. This could also have been down to a number of factors.
The 89 import had gold calipers and silver fork lowers. the UK bike has black calipers and silver fork lowers.
The UK model was also available in another later colour scheme and not just the famous RWB RC30 lookalike.
Incidently, plastics are a different part number yet are identical (apart from nosecone and rear mid sections) but also command around an extra 20% in price. could be way off the mark but more proof of rip off britain ? or was the £6000+ price tag a snip for a sporty trick 400 in its day? i suspect we get boned for pretty well everything.

Are they worth the extra money ? to the collector yes, to your average guy who wants a bike to ride then not really. shame to ruin a nice looked after bike but that could be said for any bike i guess.

Thanks to everyone for contributing one way or another.
Insert Signature Here

georgenc30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: vfr7506x nc30 nsr250sp
Re: NC30 UK and Japanese spec and differences.

Post by georgenc30 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:06 pm

The french nc30's have larger headlights that's why i'am having problems registering my jap import into france.
Has anyone done this?

fastdruid
Reactions:

Post by fastdruid » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Minor correction, all NC30 models had a headlight relay for the high beam. UK NC30 models have two, a second one for low beam.

Druid

Jostein Jørgensen
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by Jostein Jørgensen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Is this a Japan or Euro/Uk ? It is for sale in my country (norway) .

Is it possible to upload pics on this page ?

Jostein,Norway

viper_biker
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RR, CBR1000RR6

Post by viper_biker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Jostein Jørgensen wrote:Is this a Japan or Euro/Uk ? It is for sale in my country (norway) .

Is it possible to upload pics on this page ?

Jostein,Norway
That looks Jap to me buddy, welcome to the forum.
Ducati 916, not worth a carrott

peter.gadd
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: to many to list1 sv650 3 nc30

Post by peter.gadd » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:10 pm

i think the cdi box is diffrent
Last edited by peter.gadd on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:41 pm

no it doesnt not as standard sorry, someone has modded yours - its been covered on here a few times with it being a common good mod.
Insert Signature Here

Mananon
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 (91) CB900 (2008)

Post by Mananon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:33 am

Some of these differences are obviously for complience but I'm wondering why the oil cooler on the UK spec and not the japper..
For those of us with Jap bikes, is this a worthwhile addition?

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Mananon wrote:I'm wondering why the oil cooler on the UK spec and not the japper..
I am also interested in the answer to this question

muay_thai_dan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by muay_thai_dan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Timon wrote:
Mananon wrote:I'm wondering why the oil cooler on the UK spec and not the japper..
I am also interested in the answer to this question
x3