Anyone any experience with EMC or Hagon shocks?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
fumb
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fumb » Mon May 19, 2008 12:38 pm

I am looking to upgrade my suspension with out forking out too much money. Nitron shocks are almost £100 more than EMC and Hagon shocks so i want to check these out first. Has anyone fitted a Hagon or EMC shock?

What do you think of it?

What is the quality like?

Is it easily adjustable?

Would you buy another if you had a choice?

Thanks in advance,

fumb

thefatman
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Anyone any experience with EMC or Hagon shocks?

Post by thefatman » Mon May 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I had a Hagon shock on my bike for a while, it worked well enough, damped ok. They are well made and easy to adjust.

I wouldn't get another though, if I was going to spend that again i'd get a standard shock revalved and resprung. That should cost about £150 to do and you'll end up with a shock suited to you.

fumb
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fumb » Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Really! revalve and change the spring on the old shock instead of a brand spanker?

It would be alot cheaper thats for sure if it was £150 to gain a similar result as a new one.

hannakournikova
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NC35 & SP2

Post by hannakournikova » Mon May 19, 2008 11:18 pm

i have a hagon, good enough for a replacement for standard shock. but you cant compre it to a race shock, e.g. Nitron, WP, hyperpro etc

why bodge on suspension, send the money well and you will appreciate the benefits. if your gonna keep the bike then the shock should do you for a good while, alternatively good shock, fitted, looked after will sell for a decent amount seconf hand.

Psychosomatic88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Psychosomatic88 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 pm

fumb wrote:Really! revalve and change the spring on the old shock instead of a brand spanker?

It would be alot cheaper thats for sure if it was £150 to gain a similar result as a new one.
Yep, I heard its better to get it revamped. Unless you can go all the way to said race shock brands
Going on the internet is like owning a gun... Just point, click, then shit your pants waiting for the Police to turn up.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 am

The standard shock on my racebike has been revalved, resprung and compression adjustment added.

It performs much better than I can.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

thefatman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by thefatman » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 am

Where's Zenodamper when you need him?

As stickshift says you can have the standard shock upgraded massively.

You can either have a valve fitted to the reservoir so that it can be rebuilt, or change the reservoir for one from a different model complete with compression adjustment as well. I've got a gsxr one to fit to a shock of mine at some point, CBR ones are often used for the honda shocks as well.

It'll be as good as a race shock after it has been sorted, and fully rebuildable in future as well.

The only thing it is missing over a race shock is more ride height. You can buy a set of shorter linkages from Rick Oliver, or have a 10mm extension welded onto the shock between the shock body and top eye and that gets you the extra needed.

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 and NC30

Post by monkeywithaplan » Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm

thefatman wrote:Where's Zenodamper when you need him?

As stickshift says you can have the standard shock upgraded massively.

You can either have a valve fitted to the reservoir so that it can be rebuilt, or change the reservoir for one from a different model complete with compression adjustment as well. I've got a gsxr one to fit to a shock of mine at some point, CBR ones are often used for the honda shocks as well.

It'll be as good as a race shock after it has been sorted, and fully rebuildable in future as well.
Quite interested in this topic.

i myself am comtemplating if i should have the standard shock rebuilt to suit myself or go the whole hog and get a nitron track shock at £440 for it.

has anyone any experience of using a rebuilt shock and a paid for fully kitted track shock? have you found there to be a big performance difference on track use between the 2? i mean there will be, but for a track novice, that is a fairly quick road rider, it wouldnt be a dangerous affair?

any idea what type of money you would you be talking for a standard shock set up separate compression and rebound damping?
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

fumb
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fumb » Tue May 20, 2008 1:18 pm

To expand on the topic, i am looking to improve the bikes handling all round.
I am looking to re-build my forks with new seals and oil. See if this will improve the front end then maybe consider proggressive springs depending on the results.

Also i will be upgrading/replacing the rear shock. For either a new unit or refurbed and re-sprung unit.

I also want to raise the rear as i hear that this improves sterring/feel no end. I understand that this can be done either with the standard shock and a modified link or solely with a new height adjustable shock and the standard link.

Some of your comments have been great and will help me to decide on the best options available for my budget.

Thanks

fumb

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 and NC30

Post by monkeywithaplan » Tue May 20, 2008 1:28 pm

for your front end contact rick oliver off the site. he can provide uprated linear springs(much much better), new spacer to suit and race grade oil for £80. worth every penny.

as for rear ride height, you can modify your rear linkage, or again rick supplies them modified, or alternatively you can add a spacer between the top of the rear shock, and the sub frame(10 mm equates to 30mm(spot on) in ride height, due to dog bone and linkage).
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.