Honda RVF400- Repair or not to Repair advice plaese

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
gplus1
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Honda RVF400- Repair or not to Repair advice plaese

Post by gplus1 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:29 am

I have an RVF400 in all original condition for many years. The only thing that lets the bike down is the front fairing which has a crack at the side around 2 inches long and a few hairline cracks near where the mirror mounts. I am in 2 minds as to restore the fairings, paint and put on new decals again or leave as is. I want to put up the bike for sale but before I restore would like to know if a buyer would prefer the original front fairing with slight damage or would it be more enticing for the the full repair of front original fairing? Thoughts please

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Honda RVF400- Repair or not to Repair advice plaese

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:03 am

You need to decide what you would be happy to accept for the bike as it is now and find out the cost of restoring the front section. You could have the damaged section repaired (the cracks sound like a pretty easy fix) and then colour matched to the rest of the plastics by a professional painter, who should be able to make a good job of it. I had mine done and it cost £200 but that was over 5 years ago, so not realistic now. Contact the likes of Dream Machine, Race Paint etc and ask for estimates.
Personally I would prefer the panel to be repaired, assuming it's a quality job, because that would save me the hassle of getting it done. Having said that, providing the rest of the bike is good, the damage wouldn't put me off if the price was right.