Upgraded mosfet rectifier on CBR400 nc29

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Upgraded mosfet rectifier on CBR400 nc29

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Just fitted one of these to replace the original and had to do the old cut the corner off two of the fins trick to make it fit as the rear tail section would not fit correctly. This is using the original bracket on the top of the exhaust hanger mounting.
It was either that or make myself a bracket and fit it in the tail section somewhere, or wherever the original wiring would allow.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Upgraded mosfet rectifier on CBR400 nc29

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:53 am

I know this has come up on the WhatsApp group thing but I thought I'd post on here so CRM knows it's not totally dead (yet). Is the replacement rectifier simply a plug-in? Or was any rewiring required? I think you said it came from GFracing, that correct?
When an upgraded one was fitted to my RVF, the wiring and connector were also replaced. I don't know if this was because when the original rectifier died it burnt the connector and wiring (and therefore obviously needed replacing) or whether this has to be done regardless.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: Upgraded mosfet rectifier on CBR400 nc29

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:59 pm

It is an unrated rectifier and one made for the nc29 not the Yamaha r6 mosfet one that needs the wiring of the bike altering unless you purchase the r6 style plug to go with it.
The new one is located in the original place where the original one used to be and using the original wiring and plug as they are ok with no sign of any burnt connectors/wiring. It may have helped that I changed the battery as soon as we got the bike many years ago and I think have had 2 others on it also since then and when it wasn’t in use was always on a trickle charger.