Restore back to factory or as is??

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Damien420
Settled in member
Reactions:
Restore back to factory or as is??

Post by Damien420 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:02 am

Hi everyone, its been a while since i posted on here.
Looking for your opinions please :grin:
Ive had my 89 jap nc30 for 5 years now and although its a 89 bike, 3 owners ago it was made to look like a later bike, ie later suspension, later colour forks and calipers etc. I bought it because everything was in nice restorable condition. I decided to restore it as id bought it but after looking at it every day for 5 years i carnt help wonder if i should have put it back to factory spec! I dont ride it it just sits in my office but when i look at it i talk myself into leaving it because is nearly perfect but i have that niggle, its not as it should be :roll:

Please let me know your thoughts

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Restore back to factory or as is??

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:02 am

My thoughts are that you should get it back on the road! You haven't said why you keep it as an ornament. Maybe there's a good reason why you don't ride it. My bikes live in the garage, attached to the house, and there are French windows opening into the garage (don't ask). Every single morning, on my way to the shower (the better of the 2 showers is downstairs), I go to the garage first and spend a few moments admiring the NC35, NC29 and Bonneville. All of them are works of art to me, so I understand why it's parked where you can see it.
I feel my 400's should be as close to original as possible (whereas the Bonneville is the opposite). It doesn't seem quite right to me, that some people chop & change them, even the thought that some are butchered for racing makes me cringe! I seek out original parts and fit them, for example last year I found an uncut under tray for the NC29, which is now on the bike. Two weeks ago, after 5 years of searching (I don't mean literally, like on an expedition, that would be silly) I got an original screen for the NC35. I even swopped the shiny, replacement stainless nuts&bolts that fix the screen, for original brown/green ones. All I need now is an uncut under tray for the 35 and an original screen and lower, left panel for the 29.
So I think you should give in to your niggle.

Damien420
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Damien420 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:50 pm

I spend 80% of my time at work, I have a vehicle body shop and my bikes are far safer at work than home so i keep them in the office plus it makes a nice display. The main issue when poeople see it, they tell me its too nice to mess with and say if it was tatty fair enough but otherwise leave alone but your right it wants to be as it was intended to be plus the niggle is srarting to get to me.lol

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm

OF course we all know the logical answer is to put the unoriginal one on the road & buy another one to restore to original ;)

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:58 pm

& then you get a parts bike to keep the other working....

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:36 pm

other than that - If you are selling it then restored to original is best bang for buck - but IF you are still riding it & like how it is then save your money & just ride it.

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 am

To give an informed opinion, we need pictures :D