Help needed

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fizzy FS1E royal Enfield Grom
Help needed

Post by Jordansilver1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi all I took my vfr400 nc30 out yesterday only few miles In and I have an oil leak dripping on the left side onto lower fairing I live in South Wales has anybody got a good contact for someone to repair it and also check it over thanks

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8
Re: Help needed

Post by Vincent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:30 am

Where's it leaking from?

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:53 am

I’ll have to take fairing off but looking at it with fairing on It seams two places oil is landing on fairing one towards the front left side by side of exhaust pipe and other place looks like bolt is wet wear rubber pipe goes into I think water pump by gear selection but I’ll take fairing off next week to try and see better

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 pm

The second one is probably just chain lube, it builds up down there pretty quickly.
Have a good look at your left hand fork seal as well, if you've blown a seal the oil gets everywhere while riding at speed, especially around the front fairing area.
Gotta eliminate all the cheap possibilities before paying someone to have a look at it!

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes agree I’ll take fairing off next week to look closer my fork seals are dry I need to find out how to post a picture of area also I’ll try to explain best I can next week thanks

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:00 am

Jordan, I have just had something very similar and (if it is the same thing) it is not a big problem.

Side/lower fairings off and then remove the final drive /front sprocket cover (no1 assembly in the pic below).
NB, make a note of where the bolts go as they are all different lengths.Having got in there you will probably find it is all gunged up with old chain lube, and road grime from many years. a scape out and a good wash down with some degreaser or toothbrush and petrol will clean all that up so you can see what is what.

you should see your drive sprocket and also the end of the clutch rod (no 17 in the pic below) poking through a seal.
This seal or the final drive seal are probably the cause of you problem. If it is the final drive seal I am afraid it is a crankcase split to replace. The seal for the clutch push rod on the other hand can (with care) be dug out and then replaced in situ...IF you need to.

However hoping yours is the same as mine was you might well not even need to do that. You can pull out the clutch rod and have a look at it. On mine the portion that was protruding outside the seal was quite corroded and encrusted in 'lumpy' crap.There is quite a lot of movement on this push rod hence some of that portion was being pushed through the seal every time I used the clutch and (i suspect) allowing some oil to flow out the other way. A quick rub with some wet and dry to remove all the crap and produce a nice smooth surface along with a nice smear of grease and I refitted the push rod.

I put it all back together and cleaned up all the fairings and casings so any further leaks would be easy to spot then took it out for a blast on Friday. I was out for about 2 hours and ran it hard, but so far there is no sign of any further leakage. Fingers crossed yours is something similar as it is a pretty easy fix :peace:

:rocks: bighug

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for help I shall try this out