1989 NC30 Restoration - Newbie

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Konsume
Settled in member
Reactions:
1989 NC30 Restoration - Newbie

Post by Konsume » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi all,

New member currently in the middle of a 1989 Nc30 restoration - I’ve had my bike for around 10 years and have pulled her out the garage and managed to get her running again (after 6 years dormant) with a quick clean of the carbs and new battery, she sprung into life and sounded great with no obvious problems. At this point I decided I shall start a project and get to know my lovely bike in more detail. I have an idea of where I want my bike to go, and it’s not going to be factory standard, but more of a new up to date model, with some fairing updates in mind..

I’ve currently stripped the bike down and removed the wheels, exhaust, engine, forks, shock, swing arm etc. and have began some restoration (mainly cleaning and wire brushing and some new paint), and just general inspection of what new parts I need etc.

I will be posting updates and will get a picture of her previous condition and where I am at now.

One thing I am after, is possibly new radiators.. I hear Scott Jellyman is the man for new aluminium rads that actually fit.. would someone be able to give me his contact on here or email so I can enquire? Any pictures of what they look like would also be much appreciated.

Anyways, I’ve been reading through this forum for a while now and look forward to posting more updates soon.

Ciao :peace:

st22041967
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 Grey Import
Re: 1989 NC30 Restoration - Newbie

Post by st22041967 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 am

You can get scott on facebook just type "Scott Jellyman" and up he comes (Scott Jellyman not being such a common name :o) )

Konsume
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Konsume » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey st22041967, a very good suggestion indeed - I’ve done just that to no avail due to FB not notifying messages from users who are not already friends, unless they check the secret inbox (that’s my experience anyway). I have sent him a friend request and shall wait a while longer. In the mean time however, his user profile on here would be much appreciated if you know it..? :)

Konsume
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Konsume » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Here are some photos of the bike and some misc items which have been restored - unfortunately I have not taken pictures of every step and will try to do so, however when taking the bike apart, oily hands and iPhones don't always mix...

Bike before strip down

ImageBIKE1 by J T, on Flickr

Trying to get the bike to start... :pray: :

ImageBIKE2 by J T, on Flickr

The sun may be setting, but you shall rise again... :?

ImageBIKE3 by J T, on Flickr

Engine removed and frame stripped :o

ImageBIKE4 by J T, on Flickr

Shot of the exhaust before clean (forgot to get one whilst it was off the bike - blame the cat)

ImageEXHAUST1 by J T, on Flickr

Cleaned exhaust (will need a polish)

ImageEXHAUST2 by J T, on Flickr

Fan / Bracket (I don't have access to a sand blasting booth and most of the rust was removed manually.. treated, painted etc. will do again when I get one.. :geek:

ImageFAN2 by J T, on Flickr

Original fork

ImageFORK1 by J T, on Flickr

Fork paint removed from one of the forks (may rebuild and get them powder coated, but for now, just a clean and paint removal until I decide)

ImageFORK2 by J T, on Flickr

Top radiator seemed to be corroding badly (is this normal?), so managed to remove most of it carefully, along with fin straightening, however will eventually change to some allys me thinks..

ImageRAD1 by J T, on Flickr

Top Radiator restored with a light spray paint

ImageRAD2 by J T, on Flickr

Top yoke spray painted

ImageYOKE2 by J T, on Flickr

Heat shield and other items restored

ImageMISC1 by J T, on Flickr

:rocks:

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 am

Some nice transformations of shabby parts, well done. What did you do and which products did you use to get the exhaust looking so good? Which black paint are you using?

Konsume
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Konsume » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 am
Some nice transformations of shabby parts, well done. What did you do and which products did you use to get the exhaust looking so good? Which black paint are you using?
Thanks Foxy400 - with the exhaust I began with emery paper, then autosol and wire wool which did bring it up to a respectable semi shiny standard, however it was very difficult to get into joins, over welds, and it still had a significant dark hue all over it, so I went for the drill and a wire brush tool which did wonders, however it was extremely labour intensive. I did try harpic (as suggested it many YT videos) but it literally did nothing for me. Although it looks a lot better than it was, I will be going over with wet&dry and then more polish to make it very shiny, however I know it will discolour fairly quickly when in use.

For the black paint, I used halfords satin black (https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paint ... aint-500ml). I've currently done my handle bar bracket clip-ons with it as well and they have come out really nice (I'm debating whether to add a coat of gloss as they were originally). I just used satin black on the yoke and rad (the rad cap was a hammerite smooth black with a brush). I know the rad could of done with possibly a heat resistant paint, but I'm thinking of changing them anyway, I just wanted to to tidy up for the time being and see how well it would turn out. For the fan bracket, I used hammerite smooth black.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for the info. The fairing is currently off the bike so I had a go with the Solvol yesterday. Much of it came up ok although nothing like yours but I don't think I've got your level of patience to go any further.

Bish89
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Bish89 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Looks great, I really need to sort mine out but having trouble sourcing parts!

Konsume
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Konsume » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Bish89 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:19 pm
Looks great, I really need to sort mine out but having trouble sourcing parts!
Thanks Bish89 - have you tried David silver spares, RRP.direct, wemoto, eBay or CMSNL?

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:08 pm

That rad came up well