A few Questions about my NC21 Need some help as usual

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21
A few Questions about my NC21 Need some help as usual

Post by Wolffe » Sat May 12, 2018 8:55 pm

So my rebuild of this bike is getting there now, most of the big work is done (engine wise) now I just need to figure out where I am going next.

I recently changed the radiator as the old one had been damaged in an accident with the previous owner and noticed when I went to bleed the system after putting in coolant the fluid didn't go down? first thought was maybe it doesn't need bleeding, but second thought was, maybe there is an issue with the water pump?

the temperature gauge also does not seem to want to function, I am yet to get the front fairing off to check the wiring under there but I did get it working temporarily at the start of the project before but now it doesn't seem to want to, the radiator fan doesn't turn on either so I am wondering if these two issues are linked, I know the fan is fine as I tested it off the bike.

Noticed some white smoke when the engine is warm (not overheating) and a little oil leaking from the valve cover just above the front down pipes so I am wondering how readily available are the gaskets for these? rear seems fine, don't suppose one of you have one lying around do you? :grin:

PAINT
Looks like the last owner quid shop rattle canned the frame black, a bodge job of course like half of the work he did, the paint comes off with my finger nail what is the best way recommended to remove this paint without damaging the frame? I was thinking aircraft paint stripper but I would rather not have to deal with a huge fume filled gunky mess afterwards.

Tyres

So i have been researching tyres a little and it is hard to find information on them, is there much of a difference riding between Bridgestone BT45s and Pirelli Sport Demon? or is there another recommended tyre, currently the bike has a sport demon front and a very worn bridgestone on the back, the front looks fine apart from a leaking valve stem (it looks rather good in fact) so I was thinking of just putting a sport demon on the back to match but it is not much more money to just get a full set of BT45s, is there anyone with input on what might be best? I plan to do quite a bit of longer distance traveling around the uk maybe a trip to Germany and some rainy days commuting so I am looking for a set of tyres that can handle all of that, trying not to cheap out here however as it is the most important part of the bike for safety other than brakes in my opinion. :grin: either way I feel like I would rather have a matching set.

The rear master cylinder has a broken bolt in it, i am guessing the previous owner and his bodges again, I tried some vice grips but it seems pretty rusted in there, penetrating fluid didn't help much, should I just replace the master cylinder or does somebody know a trick to free snapped bolts that I do not know about?, there is a good amount of thread sticking out of it and if replace does anyone have one lying around i could buy? :grin:

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: A few Questions about my NC21 Need some help as usual

Post by Neosophist » Sun May 13, 2018 7:03 pm

lol, longer distance on a vfr is painful. like any bike it is do-able, ive seen people who have done 5000 mile iron man races on 50cc honda cubs but it doesnt make it ideal, mind you it is a good way to shake up all the old things that will fail on the bike... make sure you have some kind of brakedown recovery on hand.

either tyre is fine to be honest, there both just old bias tyres... keep them matching though, if the front is in good condition (check the age though its not just about phsyical appreance) then match the back one to it.

as for the frame, try nail polish remover. (acetone)

putting in coolant the fluid didnt go down? what do you mean? where were you putting in the coolant, in the expansion bottle or in the radiator itself? it wont go down if its full or there are airlocks.

the fan is controlled by the fan thermoswtich on the lower left hand side of the radiator.

the temperature gauge is controlled by a sensor on the thermostat housing, they work independantly of each other.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21
Re: A few Questions about my NC21 Need some help as usual

Post by Wolffe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Neosophist wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:03 pm
lol, longer distance on a vfr is painful. like any bike it is do-able, ive seen people who have done 5000 mile iron man races on 50cc honda cubs but it doesnt make it ideal, mind you it is a good way to shake up all the old things that will fail on the bike... make sure you have some kind of brakedown recovery on hand.

either tyre is fine to be honest, there both just old bias tyres... keep them matching though, if the front is in good condition (check the age though its not just about phsyical appreance) then match the back one to it.

as for the frame, try nail polish remover. (acetone)

putting in coolant the fluid didnt go down? what do you mean? where were you putting in the coolant, in the expansion bottle or in the radiator itself? it wont go down if its full or there are airlocks.

the fan is controlled by the fan thermoswtich on the lower left hand side of the radiator.

the temperature gauge is controlled by a sensor on the thermostat housing, they work independantly of each other.
thanks I never saw a reply until now.

I never thought about acetone so I will give that a try don't see why it wouldn't work, and I decided to get a full set of bridgestones I'm repainting the wheels and changing valve stems anyway and it just makes sense to have a matching set of brand new tyres.

For long distance I felt it would be pretty fun to have a 400 over a 600 and the double seat will be good to strap luggage onto and the NC21 is probably the most comfortable sport style bike I have sat on it seems to just fit me well with very little modification, also I have seen some people do VFR750 conversions to them and it might be a fun thought even if its just a thought for the future, I don't really care about how much money im putting into the bike either because i figure the more things I do the more I learn and I'm pretty much obsessed with learning, and if I break something parts are really cheap, but either way I want to do everything properly and not bodge it.

I noticed a couple of breaks in the wiring loom for the fan and temp gauge and am sorting that out.

Honestly I am aware most people would have just stripped the bike for parts by now but I just love the old thing too much to do that, I guess I have a thing for the underdog and just want to return the bike to former glory and keep it for as long as I can and apart from having to drop the engine to do exhaust work its just an easy bike to work on, and I have always loved the styling over the NC30 and NC29.