NC21 restomod - Advice needed.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21
NC21 restomod - Advice needed.

Post by Wolffe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:27 am

Okay so not long ago I picked up an NC21 project bike! its a pretty nice bike runs and drives but needs a lot of work.

I plan to restomod the bike to completely clean and put a lot of work into it even if it doesn't have a high resale value, i want to keep the bike anyway and don't plan on selling it so I really don't care if its not worth it.

But anyway I need some advice!.

1. My bike wont click into neutral, when I got the bike it went into neutral fine, but after I stalled it a couple times I found the bike no longer goes into neutral, I have tried rocking the bike back and forth and a few other things I have been told to do (cant remember everything) but I was told it might be the neutral switch/sensor does this sound right?

2. what order are the fuses in the fuse box? like from left to right what do the fuses go to, cant find info on this.

3. how can I make the headlight and tail light brighter for safety, not sure what lighting systems would work with the old electrical system in the bike (just making sure so I dont make an expensive mistake)

4. what sort of safety and reliability modifications do you guys recommend doing? Im actually surprised at how well the bike runs after 17 owners and many miles to be honest, that honda reliability :grin:

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: NC21 restomod - Advice needed.

Post by Neosophist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am

Wolffe wrote: 1. My bike wont click into neutral, when I got the bike it went into neutral fine, but after I stalled it a couple times I found the bike no longer goes into neutral, I have tried rocking the bike back and forth and a few other things I have been told to do (cant remember everything) but I was told it might be the neutral switch/sensor does this sound right?

2. what order are the fuses in the fuse box? like from left to right what do the fuses go to, cant find info on this.

3. how can I make the headlight and tail light brighter for safety, not sure what lighting systems would work with the old electrical system in the bike (just making sure so I dont make an expensive mistake)

4. what sort of safety and reliability modifications do you guys recommend doing? Im actually surprised at how well the bike runs after 17 owners and many miles to be honest, that honda reliability :grin:
1. No, the neutral "switch" just lights up the neutral light on the dash, it doesn't have anything to do with gear selecting.

Start the bike with the clutch in and rev it up a little, 3-4000 should be fine, when you loose the throttle as the revs die back down gentle pressure upwards (from first gear) shoudl get it into neutral.

2. From memory the left side are spares...from left to right, red red, blue blue, on the right its blue then 4 reds.

3. It uses a stock H4 55/60 bulb, it should be plenty bright enough if you have A.. a decent bulb (osram nightbreaker etc) and good wiring to the bulb / good electrical system.. same with the taillight, make sure it has a decent bulb in it and its not dirty including the inside of the reflectors.

4. Nothing really, just make sure everything in mechanical working order.. there not that old that they will fall apart on the road due to unreliablility but they are that old that theyve all been abused and what not that they can fall apart due to neglect, make sure bolts are correct, tightened up ok, wiring is ok, bearings are all ok.

It costs money to do but brings a great deal of reliablitly in changing the fuel hoses, new rad cap, replace the coolant and flush out the cooling system while your at it... replace the vaccum tap line.. check the vaccum tap is ok too as well as all carbs.

test the battery and charging system / reg/rec connections and repair if necessary.

replace brake fluid and clean / adjust brakes / fork oil too / brake pads if necesasry.

nc21 also replace hydraulic clutch.. if it still has rubber original hoses on bin them and put fresh new lines on the brakes and clutch (I had an oem one pop that was 20 odd years old while out and about leaving me with 150 miles and only rear brake...)

Carb rubbers are also old and hard and if they split can cause running issues... bin them and put fresh ones on while your cleaning and servicing the carbs (as well as new airfilter)

Once the years of neglect have been sorted out and any time-aged copmentns repaired / replaced they work fine as a daily rider (all-beit uncomfortable one).

My last sorted out NC2x bike started on the button rain or shine and never let me down even on long tours...

it can cost a lot to do one right (just mechahnically..) but like any other bike this age.. the biggest "unreliability" of them is not from design, just due to age and lack of maintance.

PS: I'll be in the midlands area at Christmas time all being well if your still struggling
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21
Re: NC21 restomod - Advice needed.

Post by Wolffe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Neosophist wrote:
Wolffe wrote: 1. My bike wont click into neutral, when I got the bike it went into neutral fine, but after I stalled it a couple times I found the bike no longer goes into neutral, I have tried rocking the bike back and forth and a few other things I have been told to do (cant remember everything) but I was told it might be the neutral switch/sensor does this sound right?

1. No, the neutral "switch" just lights up the neutral light on the dash, it doesn't have anything to do with gear selecting.

Start the bike with the clutch in and rev it up a little, 3-4000 should be fine, when you loose the throttle as the revs die back down gentle pressure upwards (from first gear) shoudl get it into neutral.

2. From memory the left side are spares...from left to right, red red, blue blue, on the right its blue then 4 reds.

3. It uses a stock H4 55/60 bulb, it should be plenty bright enough if you have A.. a decent bulb (osram nightbreaker etc) and good wiring to the bulb / good electrical system.. same with the taillight, make sure it has a decent bulb in it and its not dirty including the inside of the reflectors.

4. Nothing really, just make sure everything in mechanical working order.. there not that old that they will fall apart on the road due to unreliablility but they are that old that theyve all been abused and what not that they can fall apart due to neglect, make sure bolts are correct, tightened up ok, wiring is ok, bearings are all ok.

It costs money to do but brings a great deal of reliablitly in changing the fuel hoses, new rad cap, replace the coolant and flush out the cooling system while your at it... replace the vaccum tap line.. check the vaccum tap is ok too as well as all carbs.

test the battery and charging system / reg/rec connections and repair if necessary.

replace brake fluid and clean / adjust brakes / fork oil too / brake pads if necesasry.

nc21 also replace hydraulic clutch.. if it still has rubber original hoses on bin them and put fresh new lines on the brakes and clutch (I had an oem one pop that was 20 odd years old while out and about leaving me with 150 miles and only rear brake...)

Carb rubbers are also old and hard and if they split can cause running issues... bin them and put fresh ones on while your cleaning and servicing the carbs (as well as new airfilter)

Once the years of neglect have been sorted out and any time-aged copmentns repaired / replaced they work fine as a daily rider (all-beit uncomfortable one).

My last sorted out NC2x bike started on the button rain or shine and never let me down even on long tours...

it can cost a lot to do one right (just mechahnically..) but like any other bike this age.. the biggest "unreliability" of them is not from design, just due to age and lack of maintance.

PS: I'll be in the midlands area at Christmas time all being well if your still struggling
I will try to do what you said to get her into neutral :grin:

thanks for all the advice! will definitely look into better bulbs pretty sure the ones in here are the cheapest the last guy could find if the rest of the bike is anything to go by and I want to do this right so I will probably replace most of the hoses and upgrade to braided lines while I'm doing the brakes.
:grin: surprisingly this bike is actually the most comfortable sportbike I have sat on, fits me like a glove.

I am thinking of switching to the NC24 Rear Fairings seeing as I can get a brand new set of china fairings pretty cheap compared to a respray, the plan is to get the bike completely resprayed in its factory paint scheme when I can get the funds, been quoted £800 to get it done. :o