Advice

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Advice

Post by Dynamohum » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

take your time looking despite all the hype in magazines and inflated dealer prices etc theres still some half decent bikes out there with oem bodywork at prices not much more than that if you set up alerts for ebay gumtree etc scan local ads and act quickly they can still be bought.

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you for all of the advice upon looking at the pictures more you made me think and I think with transporting it back I think it would have to be at a cheap price. The reason I was looking at it was the fact that it had mot history and had been sat for 10 yrs which I don't suppose is necessarily a good thing but helps to prove the low mileage. I was a bit dubious of the other bike because of it being a proje bike from a box, but like you say as long as the seller has got proof of the work carried out which he does look like he has receipts and maybe has pics of before and after then I suppose that isn't such a bad thing. How much do you think a bike like that is worth? He does mention something about the carbs needing adjusting. By the sounds of it he hasn't touched the engine just replaced bearings and seals and got everything powder coated including engine and frame. Not sure if frame being painted is a good thing would protect it? Or would it end up wearing and looking rubbish? I have been looking for the right bike for ages now it's hard not to just get impatient or carried away and go for one of them! I look on gumtree and eBay everyday checking don't really know wherelse to look as when I look at other sites hey don't really have any on there and when they do they are usually on eBay. I don't mind the Chinese fairings I just take it as a given really as I haven't really seen any with original fairings and if so they are probably usually extortionate prices being asked! Suppose it's probably worth a look at this bike?

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Tezz123 wrote:Thank you for all of the advice upon looking at the pictures more you made me think and I think with transporting it back I think it would have to be at a cheap price. The reason I was looking at it was the fact that it had mot history and had been sat for 10 yrs which I don't suppose is necessarily a good thing but helps to prove the low mileage. I was a bit dubious of the other bike because of it being a proje bike from a box, but like you say as long as the seller has got proof of the work carried out which he does look like he has receipts and maybe has pics of before and after then I suppose that isn't such a bad thing. How much do you think a bike like that is worth? He does mention something about the carbs needing adjusting. By the sounds of it he hasn't touched the engine just replaced bearings and seals and got everything powder coated including engine and frame. Not sure if frame being painted is a good thing would protect it? Or would it end up wearing and looking rubbish? I have been looking for the right bike for ages now it's hard not to just get impatient or carried away and go for one of them! I look on gumtree and eBay everyday checking don't really know wherelse to look as when I look at other sites hey don't really have any on there and when they do they are usually on eBay. I don't mind the Chinese fairings I just take it as a given really as I haven't really seen any with original fairings and if so they are probably usually extortionate prices being asked! Suppose it's probably worth a look at this bike?
ignore milage.. unless its ridiculously high is the last thing you should be looking at

most of these bikes are Japanese imports with unknown history anyway.

i wouldnt buy that bike personally.

Original fairings would help resale value but it all depends on what it means to you.

These bikes are coming upto 30 years old and most of them were very cheap back in the day and owned by people who were new to biking and wanted a cheap sports bike.. ie young people with no money and a heavy wrist so probably been thrashed a lot.

even one owner for a couple of months could wear a motor more than a number of years with a careful owner who does maintanace.

they are quite expensive now compared to when you could pick one up in great condition sub 1000.

if you really want one of these then these days i see two paths really

buy something running as cheap as possible and use it as a hack / maybe do it up

buy the best you can find. (it has to be good)

at least its the later type bike which has the later forks and rear shock.

but coming on to that you have 30 year old suspension.. while it will probably ride (especially if you dont know any difference) its probably not goign to be as sharp as it was last time

you also need to keep budget to repair stuff that might break.

ive ridden vfrs that looked great and rode shit and some the opposite and many more inbetween.

just curious why you want one of these old bikes? would help make a suggestion.

they can be a really nice bike, especially for what they are, if you appreciate that kind of stuff, if your just after a cheapy sports bike then most modern stuff will proabbly be better...

depending on what you start out with you might get something thats an enjoyable bike you can pick away at and use regularly or you might get a nightmare that takes forever to get right.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you very much for he help. I've just always wanted one really. I really like the old styling,the size and the fact that it is old they don't seem to make smaller bikes like this anymore just always wanted one really. I'm not after out and out speed just something to enjoy,look after and go to meets on. The other one I have been looking at and was talking about is this one. It's right near me. Any feedback would be great I'm thinking of getting some more info and going to have a look at it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VFR-400 ... OSwOLJZkgB~

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm

it's your money.. i wouldnt buy that either though

1. its a 1989, they had poorer suspension than the late rbikes.. it really does make a difference to have a decent rebuildable rear-shock and adjustable front forks.

if they spent so much money rebuilding it why are they selling it now half done?

frame has been painted along with the chinese body panels so probably a crash / rebuild.. how straight is the frame etc etc.

for that kind of money you can get something ebtter if you shop harder / wait longer.

try an add in the wanted bikes section too.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...