Ebay Alloy Rad opinions.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
RandomDan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Ebay Alloy Rad opinions.

Post by RandomDan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello all, long time since i last posted here!

I want to gauge the general opinion of the ebay special ally rads you can get.
Mine it a combination of filthy and corroded i could sit there with a cable tie to try and clear it but life is too short for that!
Obviously at the time like anyone else i dont want to waste money on crap either :)

So by all means chuck your two pence in and let me know!

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Ebay Alloy Rad opinions.

Post by icklepob » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Spot on for the money. I got an R1 one for my YZF750 racebike and they are amazing for the money. May need a little tinkering to the outlets that aren't perfectly round, but it's not worth not buying one.

I've just got a thundercat one for my 400/600 and again, for £65 it's really good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm

New thundercat rad ImageImageImage

RandomDan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RandomDan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 am

Thats about what i expected to be honest, there wouldnt be so many around if they werent usable.

Replacing them at around £70 is certain simpliar than trying to clean them not to mention the coral corrosionitus.

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Had several between me and mates, for mx, enduro, race bikes and specials. Always been 95% perfect with minimal tweaking for make perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 am

Be careful.
Some ebay rads have a straight top rad instead of curved and an create fitment issues.
Scott Jellyman has supplied replacement rads to half the NCs in the country, great value and work really well. Give him a shout

RandomDan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RandomDan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am

vic-vtrvfr wrote:Be careful.
Some ebay rads have a straight top rad instead of curved and an create fitment issues.
Scott Jellyman has supplied replacement rads to half the NCs in the country, great value and work really well. Give him a shout
Thats a good shout!
The one i was looking at has a straight top!
Actually most of the ebay ones are straight unless you buy them straight from china... weirdly

nevermind found scotjell :)

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 pm

I noticed on graeme france website that the rads he sells have replacement japanese made caps as the chinese caps are wrongly pressure rated for nc30/35
Ive used the gpi rads without any issues so far however based on that will now take his knowledgeable findings on board and get a replacement cap.

BB_158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: is half tidy

Post by BB_158 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Yes be careful of the cheapest ones. I rejected a set and got a refund as the mounting brackets were all over the place.
My other ride is another 400, Woohoo!... Doh

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 pm

With reference to the mounting bracket problem, there is a substantial difference between the top rad upper brackets on the NC30 and the NC35 - the RVF has short, upright brackets on the centre line of the rad, the VFR has longer, angled brackets which offset the mount well to the rear.

A lot of Chinese manufacturers seem to have used the RVF rad as a pattern and assumed that it will fit both models, which it won`t.

Scott J. has taken the time to sort those issues out with his supplier which is why the rads that he supplies actually do fit...

The correct radiator cap is 1.1 bar, not the more common 0.9 which is often supplied.

Rick