Nc30 mileage/purchase

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:
Nc30 mileage/purchase

Post by Tezz123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

Hi I'm new to the forum with the hope of buying an nc30 been looking at them for a few years now it would be my first bike :-) ive been looking at a few examples and have my eye on one. its a 1989 imported in 96, its got 28000 MILES on the clock, it has every mot certificate since it was imported and a load of receipts for bits of work and servicing. It has had a nice castrol livery in it which as the seller says looks immaculate, well on the pics anyway. Am I right in thinking to not be too worried regards to mileage with it having some service history and receipts and all the mots dating back to import? I checked the mot history online which apparently can only show you back to 2005 and it looks to have been kept up with pretty much bang on time every year apart from after the 2011 mot it wasn't done until 2014 so must have sat round for a bit and after 2014s mot never got done till 2016. It has fresh mot on from this month and looks like it has only covered 3931km/2442miles since 2005. Obviously got to go and look at the bike not sure how much he really wants for it as it is on an auction at the minute. Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice given is much appreciated as I'm a little unsure with this :roll:

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: Nc30 mileage/purchase

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Welcome.

bottom line buy on condition, on the seller knowing their onions and ignoring al the shit about trouser fireworks or appreciating lassic.

The bikes are old...simple as that.

Any news of the generator/stator/regulator and battery being replaced is a good thing.

It will want a full service for peace of mind - tyres might want checking to see if they are older than a few years...you;d want to bargain down for ancient tyres.

Send us a link :) we'll sort you out
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks very much for the advice I do know tha on the last mot done this month it says that front or back tyre tread was nearly down to legal limit so was an advisory but wether or not that has been replaced I dont know yet. Here is a link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-VFR400-N ... SwCWFY8E0I sorry dont know how to get it so you can click on it. Spoke to the seller who said it would be ok for me to go and test ride it today with cash in hand, not sure how much he wants but reserve has not been met yet as you can see but I can call him and ask him how he would need in his hand for test ride.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 pm

I reckon the panels are chinese jobbies but it has a nice exhaust, looks to be doable adn I reckon £1500 cash waved at the seller would do it..

It is not too far from me, but I'm going away this weekend or I'd offer to have a look at for you.

Have to laugh at the appreciating classic though.. yes..yes..lol

If it is close enough for you to check it out - check consumables etc as the chain, sporckets, pads will reduce it from what looks to be decent value, to a money pit..

Ignore the plastics - they are no indication of anything other than buying them for 300 quid and fitting them - check the rear hub for the teeth being mangled.

Am hoping everyone else is awake and will chip in.. but it is not a bad wee bike,
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you very much for the great information bighug I have arranged to go and have a look tomorrow morning, he seems to think that the plastics are original as he says he thinks they feel quite thick? Don't know if there is an easy way to tell if they are original or not when I go to have a look? He has told me that he wants £2000 for it or more if he can. Said he is willing to sell outside of auction if I want it. It's my first bike like I say so not too sure on how to judge much wether condition of rear Hub or sprocket and chain is good or bad :oops: I really do like these bikes and am worried on missing out on a good example but at the same time worried about jumping into something of a money pit instead of possibly maybe waiting till winter if prices will be any cheaper therefore possibly making the money pit side of things a bit less of a worry?! I also like the zxr 400 quite a bit and am looking at some which seem to be a bit less of a worry or shall I say risk as the price is a bit lower than £2000 and have seen the odd good example which is making me think possibly go for one of them instead as usually some more of them around for choice than nc30 also castrol colours wasn't my very first choice I had in mind I really like the original white/blue/red. Not sure wether he would accept £1500 maybe £1600 possibly as the auction has only hit £1650 at the minute anyway! :roll:

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 am

This might help
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 am

Sorry for the late reply had problems with it not letting me post. Thank you'd for all of the help and information you gave me :grin: I didn't end up buying the bike. I had a test ride and the bike did seem really nice.

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am

The only thing I could tell that did seem to possibly need a little bit of attention was now and then when opening the throttle in probably a gear lower than what you would select to really give it some, it would stutter or cough/hesitate slightly. I don't know if this would probably just be a simple fix to do with the carbs or something or potentially something more so?

Tezz123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Tezz123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 am

But other than that it seemed ok just wasn't sure needed a little bit more time to make my mind up but as it was on an auction and was ending so didn't rush into it just because of that, also a mechanic I was speaking to had the opinion of stay away from the old 400s because of the age of them so started to make me worry but I really want one; I know he was only giving me best advice but maybe being a mechanic would give you a different opinion because you are working on them everyday and maybe not keen on working on certain makes/models. It did sell I think for £2000 in the end. I'm currently considering looking at another one because it is really close by where I live; it's been rebuilt from a project so not sure wether that's good or bad and makes it worth the money because of parts a labour that have been put into it? If I get the link just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to cast an eye at the ad for me and give me any advice on what you think of it? Thanks