NC35 Fork/Yoke and Geometry Settings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC35 Fork/Yoke and Geometry Settings

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 am

G'day guys,

I have searched but couldn't find any information.

I am wondering how far your fork tops are sitting above your top yokes on your NC35? Mine are currently sitting almost flush, but as my bike is mostly used on the track I would like to make sure that the geometry is set up correctly.

Currently the bike squats a fair bit when coming out of corners but that will also be because of the shagged shock NC30 shock that is currently in there, which will be getting rebuilt and set up correctly soon.

I have had the forks rebuilt and it handles beautifully but i'd like to hear your experiences with different geometries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC35 Fork/Yoke and Geometry Settings

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:57 am

Anybody able to shed some light on their setups?

jedidude04
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400

Post by jedidude04 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 am

From what i know, lowering the forks/raising the rear will increase your turn in. From what i've seen you might be better off raising the rear with a shim or height adjustable shock? I have used a taller shock with shorter dog bones on another bike to raise the rear and it made a massive difference to its flickability.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:00 pm

forks should poke through the yokes a little bit, 5-10mm from memory. Your current setup with a knackered shock isnt helping matters but until you have a decent rear shock sorted you may aswell be pissing into the wind.

If you have a 35 not a 30 then raising the rear is easy, a decent shock will raise it anyway but it can also be shimmed up to increase the height, id steer away from shortening the link as it increases the already high rising rate of the rear suspension which leads to more problems.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Just nipped into the garage and measured the distance you asked about. My forks poke through the top yoke by 3.5 mm. Hope that helps.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 am

great, thanks guys!

Has anybody with a rebuilt NC30 shock on their NC35 needed to shim it up or found better results when doing so?

I agree that I need to have the shock rebuilt before I can really focus on the geometry but if I can get an idea of some good starting points and possibly shim the rear while I have the shocks out it'll make life easier.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 am

You might be trying to run before you can walk here (not trying to be insulting).
There's not much point worrying about a few mm here or there if you've got a 20 year old shock on it.

A good starting point would be to get the rear shock replaced/rebuilt and put Rick Oliver's fork upgrade kit in the front.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Yeah I agree, I will be getting the shock rebuilt for my weight and riding style in the new year but was just hoping that people could pass on their experience with shimming the rear/dropping the front and the effects that it had on handling

fourfingers
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30RK,NC35RR

Post by fourfingers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am

And a year later...Was trying to figure out mine and came across this post. 12mm over the top yoke, measured including fork caps. That is using circlips on the fork bottles and original clip-ons.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am

How did it affect the handling?

I have my Nitron shock installed which has jacked up the rear and it is performing really well so I might start to experiment with dropping the front slightly if there are benefits to be had.