TAKING ORDERS: Cosworth 56mm & 57mm Pistons for 2016

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: TAKING ORDERS: Cosworth 56mm & 57mm Pistons for 2016

Post by RickOliver » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:14 pm

I think it was 12 sets - I actually have 8 sets here but 4 are already spoken for...

g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VTR-250, VFR400RR,

Post by g-force performance » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:39 pm

RickOliver wrote:The Cosworth pistons have been made - I have 4 sets here, the rest are with G-Force in the States.

Mike Norman is giving the finished product a thorough check over and as long as he is happy with them they will be released for sale in a few days...

Rick
Hi Everyone.

I am afraid that Rick's post is a little misleading. :? So, don't get too excited until you read everything below: :|

57.0mm PISTONS
The 57mm pistons have not even been ordered yet because I had so many people backed out. :down: It's really been unfair to the rest of you that have paid, and are waiting. :whistle: The guys who backed out have caused the price of the piston sets to increase dramatically (almost $300/set) because of the low quantities :o So, I have been saving my own money so that I can pitch in and order more pistons to have on the shelf, just so I can bring the price back down to reasonable for you guys. I am not happy about it. But, I believe in these pistons that much that I know they will sell eventually. And, the first time you twist the throttle, you will know why....... :grin:

56.0mm PISTONS
Yes, thanks to a very enthusiastic man who was willing to fund the entire order, just so he could have a set, and to Rick Oliver who is willing to help distribute these to the U.K. and Europe to save you guys a lot of shipping costs, we have made 12 sets of pistons bighug 4 sets have been set aside as "spoken for" and 8 sets are up for sale right now. I have 4 sets in the US for those who race with sanction that only allow +1.0mm bore increase. Rick has the other 4 sets that are for all of the racing over there that is very strict about only running +1.0mm bore increase as well.

This entire batch of 56.0mm pistons has been made to stock pin height. Therefore, you can run the pistons with stock rods. I have noly seen stock rods fail when heavier pistons have been installed (ie: JE 444 kit). And, I have seen several rods fail from those pistons. However, I have never seen a stock rod fail otherwise. That said, I also never run stock rods in a serious race engine. It's not worth the risk. So, every race engine I build has Carrillo rods installed. They simply DO NOT BREAK (without an external reason)http://mngforce.typepad.com/nc450vdev/nc450v-gen51.html The Carrillo Rods run $1,650 a set and take about 6 to 8 weeks to make.

Pictures coming soon for the 56.0mm, STD pin height pistons. Also, a Quality Inspection will happen this week.

Mike Norman
G-Force Engine Development
www.mngforce.com
There is no such thing as "Too Fast"
Last edited by g-force performance on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by g-force performance » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:14 pm

I don't normally do this, but here are the un-edited studio and iPhone pics I snapped upon their arrival:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdhg2fey00no ... IjY2a?dl=0

Mike Norman
www.mngforce.com

jpete41996
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR 400

Post by jpete41996 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 pm

g-force performance wrote:I don't normally do this, but here are the un-edited studio and iPhone pics I snapped upon their arrival:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdhg2fey00no ... IjY2a?dl=0

Mike Norman
www.mngforce.com
Maybe you could do the same when you get the rods!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If i can wrench on cars, bikes should not be a problem, right?...

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Good news indeed. I'll mail you Mike to check where I'm at :)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

CDIRLNC35
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by CDIRLNC35 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently rebuilding my RVF400 from the ground up and I would really like a set of these pistons (57mm ones), should I contact Rick Oliver directly or someone here?

I am based in Austria, (Irish grey import bike which I drove to Austria when I moved from Ireland, nearly broke my back on the ride over but worth it)

Thanks,

Karl

CDIRLNC35
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by CDIRLNC35 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Sorry I just noticed that I said the 57mm ones, and I am looking for ones that are stock.

According to the Haynes manual these should be 54.970 to 54.990 mm.

Any chance of these sizes existing or can anyone point me in the direction to find them

g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by g-force performance » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 am

CDIRLNC35 wrote:Sorry I just noticed that I said the 57mm ones, and I am looking for ones that are stock.

According to the Haynes manual these should be 54.970 to 54.990 mm.

Any chance of these sizes existing or can anyone point me in the direction to find them
Hi Karl:

Only the 56.0mm Cosworth pistons are available. Is there a reason you need the stock size? There is little benefit to installing a set of $1,550.00 pistons in the stock bore. Your hp/$ (or whatever you currency is) is very low. For example:

The 56.0mm pistons, with no other modifications, are worth around 5hp
The 57.0mm pistons, with no other modifications, are worth around 10hp

I have never made stock bore pistons, but I would assume they are only worth between 2~3hp. Granted, that is a lot for a 53hp engine (around 5% gain), it's hard to justify the expense. I am certain that everyone would want the 57.0mm - or even larger - if they were not racing, and their sanctioning bodies didn't require +1.0mm MAX over Standard. Our racing sanction allows 450cc +1.0mm, so 57.0mm works perfect for us, especially on our stroked engines.

Let me know if you are able to use 56.0mm, or even 57.0mm

Cheers,

Mike Norman
www.mngforce.com

CDIRLNC35
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by CDIRLNC35 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Mike,

Wow fast reply, thanks. Sorry I got a bit excited when I saw pistons available, I am looking at only stock size for restoration/ future investment as the pistons are as rare as hens teeth. I am not interested in the 56mm or 57mm.
But thanks again.

Karl

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16

Post by Yakama » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Mike, how many extra sets do you need to make the 57mm order feasible?