nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
Re: nc31 project

Post by bludclot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:30 pm

as said in a previous post the tank had one coat of lacquer and had been left to cure. i put it on the bike for want of somewhere better. today i attached the decals after some careful measuring....

...moved it to the shed, prepared it and gave it 6 further coats of lacquer:

here's basically the same picture but without a flash. i'm not sure which shows the finish better really, you decide!

so that's the bodywork painted, just have to leave it to cure and harden now before flatting and polishing...
Last edited by bludclot on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Looking good ,that bike is really going to stand out.

tomigun
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: HondaCB400sf version R

Post by tomigun » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 am

This is really a beautiful and professional work!! ;)

Patch29
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Patch29 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Beautiful!!! Want to paint mine????

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:03 am

errr yes i will undertake painting tasks for small fees and have done for some years now as a sideline.

i spent some time sanding the frame of all the spidery rust and other defects, didn't take long maybe only half an hour or so, but masking everything took considerably longer:

it was then primed and left to dry for 24 hours:

before being sanded and gloss blacked:

once un-masked i gave the engine and frame assembly quite a thorough clean which made me feel better about it.

this marks a bit of an attitude shift. i know that i said i was going to strip it to bare frame but it's been some nine months now and as my work seems to be taking me six days a week the desire to have this bike in one piece and on the road is stronger than the urge to have it show/concours standard, so it won't be stripped any further, at least not this time around. i still have the brakes and suspension to rebuild and there's new a headlight / clocks etc to go on so it won't be shabby by any stretch....

rear shocks next.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:58 pm

bike was put into the back of the van today and taken to my local trusted mechanic. jobs are: valve clearances, strip and clean carbs.

I need some help with the shocks:

how is best to re-finish the main body part? it appears to be pitted chrome.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 am

while the main bit of the bike is away i haven't been idle. the airbox covers were shabby, scratched and touched in very poorly with various blacks. they were sanded and plastic primed, shown here wet sanded and waiting for colour. i'll finish these matt black:

and i put the valve cover in and asked for it to be powdered in chrome:

when i visited my mechanic said that the valves were all bang on, good news!

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:23 pm

That is going to be one good looking bike

Patch29
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Patch29 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Looking really good!!!

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:33 pm

due to business commitments this project stayed inactive for some weeks which turned into months... but once out of the other side i've come back to it:

the side covers were painted:

and i managed to finish the pesky radiator assembly at last! the radiator was quite badly bent and twisted - i imagine from where the bike had gone over:

so as i said in an earlier post i made a jig and straightened the radiator itself before preparing and painting it . the metal grill, grill clips and fan surround were all powder coated while the side trims i hammered straight, filled, sanded and painted. the fan and plastic surround were cleaned while the threads all needed tap and die treatment before it finally came together:

it's certainly not concours standard but it has cost only £12 in powder and parts and is a huge improvment on what it was.

i removed the front braking system from the bike and have stripped the calipers. parts have been ordered where necessary so that's in process now. i have taken a good look at the forks, the stanchions are corroded and, therefore, pitted. i have taken a punt on a used set from ebay that look corrosion free in the pictures, otherwise my originals will need to be re-chromed. that's an expense i could do without right now.