Noises on my bike

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R
Re: Noises on my bike

Post by speedy231278 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 am

I often get a clunky sound when I push the bike bike into the garage. It doesn't happen when I push it out of the garage, so I assume there's some property of the chain and sprockets or maybe gearbox output shaft that makes it clunk when rotating backwards. It doesn't seem to be affected by the condition of the chain and sprockets, nor how much freeplay there is on the chain, as I'm sure it has pretty much always done this, and I've had several new sets on the bike since I've had it.

nige.smith
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati

Post by nige.smith » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:21 pm

STOP - get off and check that it is infact your bike. Sounds like you accidentally rode off on someone elses Kawasaki.
" The best way to tidy your garage, is to throw most of it's contents in a skip "

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 pm

nige.smith wrote:STOP - get off and check that it is infact your bike. Sounds like you accidentally rode off on someone elses Kawasaki.

Cheeky sod :P
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

lalalandrus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lalalandrus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:05 pm

What I have learned since I finally got some good weather to ride in:

1) ticking seems more pronounced @ idle then when running might be a product of being lean in addition normal sounds
2) the clicking when accelerating doesnt seem to be comming from the chain or the sprocket (teflon lubed)
3) the front brake discs are not the cause of the clicking
4) the clicking happens at certain range of clutch engagement (as i am letting the clutch out)
nige.smith wrote:STOP - get off and check that it is infact your bike. Sounds like you accidentally rode off on someone elses Kawasaki.
I have a GPZ400 that I am restoring, the whole bottom end has exploded. Chunks are missing from the bottom crank case and the whole tranny is siezed from the bits of metal flown into it.....

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:47 pm

The ticking is normal valve train noise on these engines, it becomes more pronounced at idle when the coolant nears boiling point. As long as valve clearances are in spec I wouldn't worry about it.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R

Post by speedy231278 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 am

lalalandrus wrote:4) the clicking happens at certain range of clutch engagement (as i am letting the clutch out)
I'm convinced that I've heard this before on my bike too. It doesn't do it now, and to be honest, I can't remember when it was. What I do know is that in the last five years the clutch has been apart twice, including various 'new' parts being taken from a second one to build a better one, plus new plates, new springs and a different arm on the engine case.

I wonder if something is a little 'sticky' in the mechanism, or if possibly the basket is a little notchy and the plates are catching as the lever is released?

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

You might have a stiff link or two in the chain, even a clean and lubed chain will make a clunkey noise as the stiff parts are bent around the sprockets.

I have a stiff link in my chain, with the rear lifted up and the bike running and in 1st gear watching the sprocket and chain go around, every so often i get a clunk / chain jump becuase of the stiff link.

The noise from the clutch might just be a worn clutch, have you checked it / the basket for wear?

And often it is mostly the chian..
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

powerbio
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by powerbio » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Did anyone find the cause of the clunking?

Sharpedge
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Sharpedge » Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 am

Im getting very obvious clicking noises on my nc35 too.

This always happens after the bike is very warmed up. I dont hear such noises when the bike is still cold.

Also, i tend to lose power at low RPMs as soon as the clicking starts. Its quite obvious and very annoying because i keep thinking that its something wrong with compression.

The clicking noises tend to follow the RPM at which the engine is running. I.e when its running at higher RPM the clicking noises are alot faster; whens its idle or at low RPM the clicking noises are slower...