Noises on my bike

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
lalalandrus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Noises on my bike

Post by lalalandrus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

I seem to have noises on my bike and was wondering what could be wrong or if someone has experienced these sounds before

1) Ticking noises from the engine, loud but the valves were checked less than 1000kms ago. My AFR meter says i am running 15-16 AFR indicating lean but my idle screws are 2.5+ turns out. I am suspecting this is an air leak on one of the cylinders but all 4 cylinders click.

2) Metallic clicking/clanging noises when releasing the clutch from standstill, oil levels look good and it is consistent two clicks. I dont see anything lose.

I also have experienced random cylinder dropouts when first starting and once I had the bike lose significant power on the road until i turned the engine off and restarted. I dont know if these symptoms are related.

Any help appreciated.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Re: Noises on my bike

Post by Cammo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

lalalandrus wrote: 1) Ticking noises from the engine, loud but the valves were checked less than 1000kms ago. My AFR meter says i am running 15-16 AFR indicating lean but my idle screws are 2.5+ turns out. I am suspecting this is an air leak on one of the cylinders but all 4 cylinders click.

2) Metallic clicking/clanging noises when releasing the clutch from standstill, oil levels look good and it is consistent two clicks. I dont see anything lose.

I also have experienced random cylinder dropouts when first starting and once I had the bike lose significant power on the road until i turned the engine off and restarted. I dont know if these symptoms are related.
1. The engines do get very 'tappety' (particularly when hot), if the valve clearances are in spec I wouldn't worry about the engine noise at all. Is that air fuel ratio when it's idling? If so it's about correct.

2. Where's the noise coming from?

Regarding cylinder dropouts when idling, it's usually gummed up carbs or poor spark plugs. If it happens whilst riding it could be a number of things: fuel tap, electrical system etc.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

lalalandrus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lalalandrus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for the info! I am going to try to get a directional mic to pinpoint the noise.

Dowensy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dowensy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:21 pm

I have the tappety noise as well on my VFR and my clearances were fine i just think its ones of those things.

I'm also getting the clicking. clunking noise when pulling away in first then it goes away and it does it twice, just had the gear box out and everything was fine and i put a new clutch and spring set in renewed all gaskets and used motul 10w40 sports semi synth in it as well and mine is doing the same thing. very unnevering and i havent a clue what that is, anyone else able to pitch in?

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 pm

The tapping noise, is it coming from the rear of the engine? if so the rear manifold could be slightly loose/leaking

lalalandrus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lalalandrus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:The tapping noise, is it coming from the rear of the engine? if so the rear manifold could be slightly loose/leaking
i have just fixed that issue lately as my original source of the tapping was indeed a loose manifold. however i am starting to conclude the tapping i am getting now is just the "normal" tapping that people have been saying is common.

onto the clicking!
Dowensy wrote: very unnevering and i havent a clue what that is
unnnerving indeed, i just oiled my chain, will see if it makes any difference.
i did also notice that my front brake rivets click if you touch them after a stop, going to do some experimentation

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 am

'Creaking' noises coming from the top shock mount are fairly common on nc30's, to eliminate this as the source just grease it up (or spray lube at least).
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

krisztian_andre
Reactions:
Bike owned: MG v35 II, NC30, MG NF Mil.

Post by krisztian_andre » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 am

A lose nut or washer rattling in the V of the wnginw or somewhere else.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 am

Cammo wrote:'Creaking' noises coming from the top shock mount are fairly common on nc30's, to eliminate this as the source just grease it up (or spray lube at least).

Ahhh I wondered why my bike sounded like a relic every time I sat on it or went over a bump!

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am

Dowensy wrote: I'm also getting the clicking. clunking noise when pulling away in first then it goes away and it does it twice, just had the gear box out and everything was fine and i put a new clutch and spring set in renewed all gaskets and used motul 10w40 sports semi synth in it as well and mine is doing the same thing. very unnevering and i havent a clue what that is, anyone else able to pitch in?

Have you checked the chain & sprockets? Worn sprockets or a loose chain can cause the clunking.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.